Fish Swimming Nose Down Please Help

Lee

Medium Fish
Aug 11, 2003
Bristol, CT was from NJ
Visit site
Hi,
I have a silver swordtail and he is swimming face down. my tank is cycling and had it tested today. All is ok for cycling. I did a 20% water change. He is having difficulty swimming and his tail keeps floating up and his nose goes down. what is wrong with him?
thank you
Lisa

Bren

Small Fish
Oct 23, 2002
Boulder, CO
Visit site
I have seen this with my neons if they are fed a large amount, I think the air they take in with the food and the bouyancy of the food can make the fish float more then it can handle very well. Kinda funny in a way, but I always feel really sorry for them. If he gets better that is my bet though.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Might, MIGHT be swim bladder disease. Overfeeding rich foods will affect their swim bladder which controls balance. Skip a feeding day, you can do that once a week (skip a feeding). Try changing and adding variety to their diet.

fishface

Large Fish
Jun 22, 2003
England - Sheffield
www.myfishtank.net
its oxgen thats taken in when eating my neons and tigers did it to what you do is get an old glass when its feeding time put aquim water in it then put yours flakes in for 5 secs then pour em in the food will go everywhere so the fish wont take in any oxygen when eating :)