Fish being scared to death

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
In addition to removing the flowerhorn, you could try adding more cover and uping the hiding spots to 6 or 7. The more easily accessable places to hide the more a fish (especially fish that are preds) will be comfortable. Even "screens" of weighted fake plants would help for the time being... at least until they are large enough to shred them ;).

If that still doesn't cut it, try some dither fish. Some fish, and larger Cichlids in particular, guage how safe their surroundings are based off the activity of other fish. When there are no other fish, sometimes they go into "it's not safe" mode and become skittish.
Dithers can be large Giant Danio's, any of the larger (less expensive) rainbows or anything else that's fast, doesn't get HUGE (say maxes out at 3-4" give or take), schools and is relatively inexpensive. They may get picked off every now and then which is why I say go inexpensive.

Chris

Dragonet

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2009
Kingston ON.
You should remove him because he's going to get too big for the tank and will start getting very aggressive and probably kill everyone else off.

What's the tank decor like? Lots of hiding spaces and cover, or wide open and bare? How long have they all been together?
The decor provides lots of hiding places for all of them, (no one has no hiding place) and they have all been together for an average of about 9 months(some longer, some shorter).

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
The decor provides lots of hiding places for all of them, (no one has no hiding place) and they have all been together for an average of about 9 months(some longer, some shorter).
hiding places doesnt account for the little room they have, and being together for 9 months doesn't mean much. I think you've gotten enough info to logically understand what is best for your fish. I'm done with this thread. Goodluck

Apr 12, 2009
scared fish

You need to spend more time with your fish. sit in front of the tank. They are like children, shy at 1st. sit there for ten minutes or so be very still after that feed them. they will soon know that your are the hand that feeds. If you have kids that are constantly banging on the glass too..trade your kids in for more tanks.*PEACE!*