Welcome to MyFishTank.Net!

Have A Question? Join our awesome community today and it's free!

First Tank Help

Discussion in 'FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions' started by Fogo26, May 25, 2017.

1. Fogo26

Fogo26 New Fish

Hello All

So, I talked my parents into letting me get a fish, but I have to pay for it. The problem is that I'm a 16 year old high schooler with a limited income and I also have to save for other stuff. I was just looking to get a smaller tank for 1 betta without spending a ton of money if possible.

I have read that round fish bowls aren't that best and I wasn't sure how to start off. Is a 2 gallon tank large enough? Do I for sure need a filter or heater?

Once again, I do have a limited amount of money to spend on this so that is the problem here.

Thanks for reading.

#1 Fogo26, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017

2. Molly@87

Molly@87 New Fish

They sell the Berta start up kit at Walmart

3. Alma@fish

Alma@fish Small Fish

The 2-gallon tank sounds great! That would be a great improvement to what most betta fish live in. For now, you don't need a filter, and if you have some extra money then you could buy one, but for a betta, I don't think it is nessisary

4. Bananas

Bananas New Fish

Most bettas can live in 1 quart jars. 2 gallons is more than enough. If something is cheaper than the 2 gallons you have your eye on, that would be good enough. Bettas are used to living in harsh climates. If you do get a cheaper tank then you can spend the rest of it on filters or heaters. I don't think it it necessary, though.

5. Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle New Fish

I would recommend that you throw an almighty tantrum to try to get your parents to agree to buy a 100 Gallon for the living room. You can then work that back and 'compromise' with the 2 gallon beta tank and they will think they're getting off light!
    You will definately need a filter, and unless you live in an environment which is at least 24 (although you're best keeping them at about 26) degrees all year you will definately need a heater. 2 gallon is fine size wise. When feeding a beta, you are best to get sinking foods as when they gulp from the surface they take air in as well and this effects the swim bladder.

Want To Reply or Ask A Question?
Join our forum today (it's free!) in one easy step! Click Here To Join!