Edible Oscars...

Etheostoma

Large Fish
Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
So, a few years back I was on a solo spring break in Florida. Come to find out in my travels, Oscars are a game fish down that way. Neat. So I catch a few and eat a meal that'd have cost me $160.00 USD in any pet store.

Today I'm on holiday and catching a lot of red ear sunfish for the grill. Lepomis micropholus, and I think to myself..Ya know, these're pretty fish.

Pity I don't have an extra 55+ lying about...*crazysmil

Etheostoma

Large Fish
Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
Well, I can tell you that Oscar meat isn't anywhere near as fatty as native sunfish (bluegill, red ear, bass, etc). Very light and flaky, easy to scorch if you're not watching your fire. It is especially delicious when blackened, cajun style, or poached then topped with white sauce and capers.

Believe me, it is a bit unusual feeling you get catching a fish on hook and line that you grew up and grew older regarding as a species that was exclusively a pet, and then taking care of the business needed to turn it into a meal. It's sort of like, well, going hunting for poodles instead of antelope and then literally having Fifi for dinner.

Culture shock! That's the term I was looking for!

Anyway, I think my purpose in posting was that red ear look like something I'd be very interested in keeping someday. They reminded me of dwarf rainbows, sans the "dwarf" part. However, I can find no photos to do justice to the beauty of the fish I caught yesterday. None of the internet pics I've found have enough blue or are irridescent enough.

Last edited:

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
well I know over in asia, giant gourami's are considered quite the edible meal. Now personally, I think a tank mixed with some sunfish, and some lake perch would look really pretty. I've ate many of them and always marveled at the colours. Course I also just found out that perch are related to cichlids, never knew that*GOLDFISH*

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
We had a fishing derby at my work and 8 golden trout were stocked. I told my husband if he got one all the fish in my 125 were going to go and I was going to put that one in. They are just beautiful.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
here I am...

Fish are fish.

I often wonder if a glass catfish would still be clear after it is cooked. They turn white when they die, but,...

Let me tell you, if push comes to shove, my synodontis euruptus is gonna turn into a bowl of soup. He's HUGE! I had catfish soup in a Vietnamese restaurant a couple months ago and it was pretty good.