Welcome to MyFishTank.Net!

Have A Question? Join our awesome community today and it's free!

Edible Oscars...

Discussion in 'FreshWater General Discussion' started by Etheostoma, May 9, 2006.

1. Etheostoma

Etheostoma Large Fish

So, a few years back I was on a solo spring break in Florida. Come to find out in my travels, Oscars are a game fish down that way. Neat. So I catch a few and eat a meal that'd have cost me $160.00 USD in any pet store.

Today I'm on holiday and catching a lot of red ear sunfish for the grill. Lepomis micropholus, and I think to myself..Ya know, these're pretty fish.

Pity I don't have an extra 55+ lying about...*crazysmil

2. jumpfreak26

jumpfreak26 Large Fish

No way, thats sweet, but i dont know about eating a fish in an aquairum, more like a trout brook or salmon, mmmmmmmm

3. Cichlid-Man

Cichlid-Man MFT Staff

Yep, oscars are considered a game fish in Florida. I've heard of stories of people having their oscars die from old age and them grilling it up. I don't see a big deal in it personally, might as well feed some people.

Got any good Oscar recipies to share? ;)

4. Intravenous

Intravenous Large Fish

Only problem with that is if they've ever had medication it could still be present in their body and poisonous or harmful to us :rolleyes:

5. Etheostoma

Etheostoma Large Fish

Well, I can tell you that Oscar meat isn't anywhere near as fatty as native sunfish (bluegill, red ear, bass, etc). Very light and flaky, easy to scorch if you're not watching your fire. It is especially delicious when blackened, cajun style, or poached then topped with white sauce and capers.

Believe me, it is a bit unusual feeling you get catching a fish on hook and line that you grew up and grew older regarding as a species that was exclusively a pet, and then taking care of the business needed to turn it into a meal. It's sort of like, well, going hunting for poodles instead of antelope and then literally having Fifi for dinner.

Culture shock! That's the term I was looking for!

Anyway, I think my purpose in posting was that red ear look like something I'd be very interested in keeping someday. They reminded me of dwarf rainbows, sans the "dwarf" part. However, I can find no photos to do justice to the beauty of the fish I caught yesterday. None of the internet pics I've found have enough blue or are irridescent enough.

#5 Etheostoma, May 9, 2006
    Last edited: May 9, 2006
  6. Toam

Toam Large Fish

well I know over in asia, giant gourami's are considered quite the edible meal. Now personally, I think a tank mixed with some sunfish, and some lake perch would look really pretty. I've ate many of them and always marveled at the colours. Course I also just found out that perch are related to cichlids, never knew that*GOLDFISH*

7. Cichlid-Man

Cichlid-Man MFT Staff

And they eat our $50+ discus in the amazon.

A native tank would be cool to have.

8. angelmom

angelmom Large Fish

We had a fishing derby at my work and 8 golden trout were stocked. I told my husband if he got one all the fish in my 125 were going to go and I was going to put that one in. They are just beautiful.

9. Pure

Pure Elite Fish

[​IMG]

:D

10. NoDeltaH2O

NoDeltaH2O Superstar Fish

here I am...

Fish are fish.

I often wonder if a glass catfish would still be clear after it is cooked. They turn white when they die, but,...

Let me tell you, if push comes to shove, my synodontis euruptus is gonna turn into a bowl of soup. He's HUGE! I had catfish soup in a Vietnamese restaurant a couple months ago and it was pretty good.

11. Ramirezi

Ramirezi Large Fish

etheostoma said
    My cousin kept sun fish....very cool. These are cold water fish and do the best in cooler water. You can do a search for a chiller for your tank and go for it.

12. drew101

drew101 Medium Fish

how big do glass catfish get? i saw some they were tiny i figure id research them before bought

13. kellylardner

kellylardner Small Fish

yuk i dont like to eat fish as it is so...yuk! LOL ..but if you enjoy fish all the more 2 u ... thats like the scene in jungle 2 jungle! LOL

Want To Reply or Ask A Question?
Join our forum today (it's free!) in one easy step! Click Here To Join!