Dwarf Gourami - Not eating, hiding and not looking good :(

Apr 23, 2007
Hey everyone, it's been a while :p

I am having a little trouble :(

One of my male "Dwarf Gourami" seems to be playing up. He has been acting strangely for about 2 weeks now, he was fine before but he started hiding away and not swimming round like he used too.

After that he started to not eat anything, and I haven't managed to get him to eat anything for about 1 week now. Currently he isn't hiding away, but more right at the top corner just not moving.

There is nothing odd about how he looks, perhaps he is a little less neon blue than he has ben, but not really surprising since it's been over a week since he ate.

More recently one of my females started hiding and not eating but she seems to have snapped out of it a little now, and she often comes out and swims about which is promising. So I am not really worried about her. She is eating a little now again too.

My male really isn't looking good though, I mean I can literally dangle some food by his face and even make it brush against his mouth and he wont touch it, or move out the way. After doing some Googleing etc. it seems that the most common causes for this kind of behaviour is internal parasites or bacteria.

I went to the fish shop yesterday and purchased some "Octozin", which says it will treat internal parasites so fingers crossed. I am on the second day today of the three day course, but it said symptoms can take a week to appear.

I have to be careful with meds due to my shrimp and snails, which means I can't realy get the strong stuff that is a bit more likely to work. I might try some paragon after this which not only is good for internal parasites, but also internal bacteria.

I am trying to go for meds which won't damage my filter bacteria and are safe for my inverts.

Also looking at:
Waterlife Myxazin
Interpet Aquarium Anti Internal Bacteria

I have read lots on garlic as a cure for itch etc. and how it can clean up internal parasites and bacteria, as well as more often being used to improve fishes apatite to make them eat, but I sliced up garlic and not one of my fish would touch it although the shrimp seemed to love it, and I got some of the juice from the garlic clove and added it to the water but didn't notice the fish seeming more hungry.

Also, the ill fish had some poo trailing from him which my fish have from time to time, but his wasn't brown like when my other fish poo, it was translucent. This is why I thought internal parasites, but then again he hasn't been eating so brown poo would have been odd I guess.

Basically, am I going down the wrong route here? Is there anything else I can be doing? Have I made the right diagnosis?

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
you have been doing a lot of work to look after your fish. im sorry but i have no experience with internal bacteria and internal parasites. im going to research it. all 4 of my dwarf gouramis died 3 weeks ago due to what i believed to be old age. they were eating well and i had had them for years....

Apr 23, 2007
My other dwarf gourami that was looking under the weather cleared up completely when I added this:
Interpet anti-internal bacteria

I recommend you pick some up.

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I only had one dwarf gourami before and it passed away within days. I think the cause was internal parasites as well.

I'm assuming that you had this dwarf gourami for a while now and it only started acting up recently?

I had the same symptoms of the long trailing mostly white poo. Be careful with the medicine. Too much is never good and I hope you're treating the male gourami in a separate tank. That way the other fish don't have to suffer.

Apr 23, 2007
I have had my dwarf gourami's for about 6 months now, and yes firt time it started acting up.

Actually I treated them all with the anti bacterial, and they all seem happier for it.
I decided that if by the time you can see they are not well it is too late, better to do a "preemptive attack" to be on the safe side.

been running free from meds for about 3 weeks now or a little less perhaps, not sure but everyone is happy :)