DIY Tank Stand Plans

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
I was wanting to get some tools anyway, I have all these things I want to build. Unfortunately I don't know what tools are for what. :) I just like building stuff. I've bought every single tool we own, my husband doesn't buy tools. We have a really nice cordless screwdriver, and that is the extent of my power tools. What should I get if I want to build shelves and tank stands and stuff?

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
usacutie81 said:
I was wanting to get some tools anyway, I have all these things I want to build. Unfortunately I don't know what tools are for what. :) I just like building stuff. I've bought every single tool we own, my husband doesn't buy tools. We have a really nice cordless screwdriver, and that is the extent of my power tools. What should I get if I want to build shelves and tank stands and stuff?
then the aformentioned table saw is what your gonna need, also a miter saw depending on how you want your joints, and or how the blades of your table saw can be angled.

heres a link to what sears has available.

Sears.com

i love wood working, but i dont have a house yet, i made two night stands back in high school over 14yrs ago and they both still sit beside my bed. i had a hell of a teacher lol i have even stood on them to change light bulbs and they are still standing.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
A miter saw is better for cutting Large Legnths of wood. It is hard to slide a 12ft board into a table saw. A Table saw is good for small Boards or to rip boards in half. I am looking into buying a miter saw so I can do more things with it. I would get better 45* from it. Here is the basic tool list that I used:

Hand Circular Saw Used to make all my cuts
Cordless Drill, It it nice to have 2 so you dant have to switch between the drill bit to pre-drill and the Phillips bit to install screws.
Finish Brad Nailer, Used to install the final parts or trim so you dont have to have to see Nails or screws.
Quick Square. Used to make Short line at a 90* angle quickly, Also have a 45* on it.
Pencil. DUH
I think that is about it. I really didnt use the Table saw on this one cause I was cutting Large boards. I wll be using it when I build the canpopy, but that is a different thread. :)

MAHA

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
yes but i was thinking of ripping boards down, you can't really cut a 4ft wide board down with a miter saw, yet you CAN cut a 12 ft in length board down with a miter saw if you just use a saw horse.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
The Table saw is used for cutting small peices of wood. Unless you have a Big table saw You will only have a 12" table to work on. I use mine to rip 2X4 into 2x2. Just a side note a 2x4 is really 1 1/2 X 3 1/2, 2X6 1 1/2 X 5 1/2.
The miter saw would be use to cut the Long 12ft board into the legnth that you need. It also swivels so you can cut 45* angles.
A Circular saw I use Because I dont have a miter saw. It will cut the boards to then legnth required. I also use it to cut my Plywood useing a straight edge and some clamps.
It it nice to have a solid table to work on that you can get to atlest 3 sides of it. I use a colaspable one that I can move in and out of the garage.

I hope this helps. When I build my canopy I will get Photos of the tool that I use.

MAHA

Endl98

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2006
long island , new york
i use my table saw to rip full sheets of 4' x 8' plywood into smaller pieces, you cannot do that with a mitre or even a compound mitre saw.
a mitre saw is for cutting long 2x4 or 2x6 maybe even a 2x8 if you have a really big blade.(12")

a table saw can cut anything. with a small table saw all you need is extensions to hold the bigger pieces. which you can make.

also usefull is a router to make all the fancy deco edges.

i can go on and on , woodworking is another hobby.

Last edited:

Endl98

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2006
long island , new york
usacutie81 said:
K soooo. Table saw is good for....? and Miter saw would be good for....? and then a circular saw would be best for....?

I'm so glad I know people who know tools.

all have uses, all can be used for the same thing .
a table saw has a rip fence on it , its used for more precise cutting , you can also change the baldes to utilize a dado blade. which is 2 blades at different degrees that can be changed to make very thin cuts , 1/8 thin to 1" thick. like slots for shelves. it can make the prettiest of cuts.

a mitre saw is used to take long lengths of wood like 2x4 and 2x6 and make them shorter. its also called a chop saw. its motion is a donward chop or cut.
it can be turned at different degrees to cut up to 45* to make angles.most chop saws cannot cut a 2x8 or thiker plank of wood.

a circular saw to me is for building a frame like a house. its where cuts need to be close to exact but not look pretty. more a rough cut saw. i only use it to cut off excess pieces that i know i need to clean up.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
I have been out of town for the last time in 12 weeks of MGMT Class. I will have more time to finish this. The only thing that I have dome was to buy the hinges that I will be useing as well as handles for the doors and the Little magnet thing that will hold them close. I will be moving things around in my room before sat to make room for the stand and tank. I should have the doors figured out by this sat. I will probably be buying the tank this weekend. :) I will post pics when I make some progress.

MAHA