Welcome to MyFishTank.Net!

Have A Question? Join our awesome community today and it's free!

DIY Tank Stand Plans

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Mahamotorworks, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Mahamotorworks

Mahamotorworks Superstar Fish

I have been looking at getting a bigger tank to host all of my current fish. I have decided on a 75 Gal tank. I have not found a stand that is in my budget or that I like. I have decided to build one. Here are photos of the plans I have came up with. I wanted to know what everyone thought. It is made of 2X6 lumber. Not shown in the plans there will be a 1X8 that wraps the top go hide the tank trim. The circles that you see are the location of screws. There will be a shelf in the bottom. I am debating on wraping the bottom of the stand in 1/4 in Plywood.

This is Frame for the Top that the tank will sit on. The bottom will match it also.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a side view of what it should look like with out the 1X8 around the top.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know that there are multiple photos of the same plans but depending on
    your computer some will appear better then others.

I was wondeirng if I should put some kind of MDF or Plywood on the top to distribute the weight more.

If you need some more info just let me know.

Thanks

MAHA

2. Mahamotorworks

I started to build the stand today. I was working at my bros housse and forgot my camera so no in progress Pics but I will get a semi finished ones next week. I was standing on it when it was assembled. I will have to get some more people to stand on it wiht me just to make sure it will hold.

I am getting the supplies together to set up the 75 Gal tank. I have ordered a XP2 as a filter, I have 2 bags of Eco-complete on its way. The stand it half way done. I need to rearrange the room to get the spot ready for everything. Next saturday I will finish the stand and build the Canopy.

MAHA

3. KilledByQTips

KilledByQTips Medium Fish

looks good maha!!! : ) good luck with it and make sure to keep ur progress posted!!!! c ya
    JJ

4. usacutie81

usacutie81 Large Fish

Yeah, get us some pics... "In progress" pics would be really helpful if any of us wanna build our own stand and don't know what we are doing (like me).

5. FishLuvr

FishLuvr Large Fish

may i ask why its 48 and 1/2 inches, isnt the footprint 48 whats the xtra half inch for?

6. Mahamotorworks

It is 48 1/2 in for a couple of reasons 1. Tank sizes vary by manufactuer. and 2. I am allowing for the tank trim, Most people just measure the glass and forget about the trim. I looked up a lot of 75G tanks dimensions and most were 48 1/2 with the trim. I really dont want to have to force the tank in to the stand.

MAHA

7. FishLuvr

FishLuvr Large Fish

yeah i measured mine, mine is 48 1/4 i assumed you measured for the trim, but since mine was 48 1/4 i couldnt understand the 1/2, i want my snug, so that junk doesnt get lost in a gap of space.

8. Mahamotorworks

Update: 28 Oct 2006

Here is the update on my tank stand. I had the frame finished a week ago. I added a shelf and cut a top for it here are some photos.

Enjoy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More

9. Mahamotorworks

The rest of the Photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There it is. I have attached the top with Screws. Now I just need to decide to paint or Leave it the way it is. I will be adding some 1X8 for trim when I get the tank and know how High I need it to go.

Let me know what you think,

Thanks

MAHA

10. Fishckabibble

Fishckabibble Large Fish

when i built mine i did basically the same frame as yours but i used 2x4 instead of the 2x6 like you did, and i also framed mine in plywood and stained it to match my tank, so it didnt look open and exposed, it also gave me room for storage without having to look at the stuff underneath, i still have not gotten my doors for it but im working on that lol i only made my stand 24 inches tall because im short and wanted to be able to reach the bottom of the tank.

11. tropicalfish

tropicalfish Large Fish

Looks nice and sturdy!
    I think you should paint it,... better for extra water protection and good looks!

12. Endl98

Endl98 Large Fish

looks good, the 2x6 are overkill so it will hold the weight. the only thing i would have done is used a wood glue with the screws. and i would also cut some cat blocks and place them in between the 2x6 front to back so they dont spread.

13. Mahamotorworks

I know the 2X6's are over kill but I didnt like the 2x4's. Better safe then sorry it is 1000lbs of water and decor and glass sitting on top. I have painted the bottom shelf Flat Black. I will be leaving everything else unpainted it matches everything else in my room. I am planning on adding a shelf on one side to hold the test kits a other things I have for my tank. The other side will have my XP2 so no shelf. I have some 1/4 plywood so I can build a door but I will have to wait till my bro can help me with that.

I will be picking up the tank next week. Then I will have to plumb and build the canopy.

Thanks for the feed back.

MAHA

14. FishLuvr

FishLuvr Large Fish

good job looks great

15. Mahamotorworks

2nd Wind

I thought I would be done for the day earlier. I had more time in the afternoon so I worked on the stand some more here are some Photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I added my shelfs. I also attached the 1/4 plywood to the sides. I now need to make the doors for the front.

MAHA

16. Guysy1110

Guysy1110 Large Fish

Looks very sturdy !!

Nice work :D

17. usacutie81

usacutie81 Large Fish

Yeah.... looks really really good.... how would you feel if we stole your design? :)

18. Mahamotorworks

GO ahead and use it. If I was worried about some one stealing it wouldnt have posted anything but the complete photos. I would like to see how it turns out for other people.

MAHA

19. tropicalfish

tropicalfish Large Fish

Is it possible that if for a 40 gallon stand the middle supporters can be taken out?

20. Mahamotorworks

Ya you can use the same basic design for any size tank. I added the middle support cause a 75 Gal tank is close to 1000Lbs when it is full with everything. You can redesign the stand how you want it to fit what ever size tank you need. I would say if the tank is over 3 ft them add the center supports. Under you can get away with out them. For smaller tanks you can use 2X4's. I liked the way the the 2X6's looked and the extra strenght was a plus too. I had some left over from building a bed for my brother. Here is a link with All-Glass tank dimensions All-Glass Aquarium - 20" New Economy Full Hood Most tanks by any manufactuer (sp?) will be close to the same size. If you have any questions let me know.

MAHA

Want To Reply or Ask A Question?
Join our forum today (it's free!) in one easy step! Click Here To Join!