disappearing snails?

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
okay in the last week or so one of my fish out of my 90 gal has eaten all 3 of my mystery snails ( who where about 1/2 inch) and so i went to the lfs and bought 2 apple snails ( who are like 1 1/4 inch) any way one of them is gone now too. i cant figure out who is eating them and why all of a sudden do they like snails. bc the mystery snails where in there for a while until they where eaten. my gold sev. isn't that big yet he is just starting to show markings on his face and forehead so i would say he is about 3 1/2 inches to 4 inches now. and my blue botia and the pictus cat arent' that big either. i am just stumped on this one. you guys have any ideas who it could be.

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
snails look like dinner for lots of fish. i have just the common ones that came with plants and they breed massivly, i keep them in my fry tank and the fry love them. the larger ones i have had plecs suck their shells clean but then there are the other fish that think snail would make a nice meal.

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
If your going to start buying snails as fish food, apple snails and mystery snails are probably not the cheapest route. Most places will give you pond snalis or those trumpet snails for free because they are pests.

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
S-kate said:
If your going to start buying snails as fish food, apple snails and mystery snails are probably not the cheapest route. Most places will give you pond snalis or those trumpet snails for free because they are pests.

thanks everyone. i hear ya on the cheapest route. the apple snails where $3 bucks a piece and where only in the tank for 4 days. i think i will ask around about the free snails, bc it seems one or some of the fish love the snails.