Welcome to MyFishTank.Net!

Have A Question? Join our awesome community today and it's free!

disappearing snails?

Discussion in 'FreshWater General Discussion' started by fish_chic, Feb 5, 2007.

1. fish_chic

fish_chic Large Fish

okay in the last week or so one of my fish out of my 90 gal has eaten all 3 of my mystery snails ( who where about 1/2 inch) and so i went to the lfs and bought 2 apple snails ( who are like 1 1/4 inch) any way one of them is gone now too. i cant figure out who is eating them and why all of a sudden do they like snails. bc the mystery snails where in there for a while until they where eaten. my gold sev. isn't that big yet he is just starting to show markings on his face and forehead so i would say he is about 3 1/2 inches to 4 inches now. and my blue botia and the pictus cat arent' that big either. i am just stumped on this one. you guys have any ideas who it could be.

2. Pure

Pure Elite Fish

My sevs have always picked large snails to death. They even kill the huge baseball sized ones.

3. fish_chic

fish_chic Large Fish

wow, well should i keep puting snails in there for him to eat maybe one every week?

4. bala_aquarium

bala_aquarium Large Fish

dont think it hurt anything

5. Jayrod7

Jayrod7 Large Fish

snails look like dinner for lots of fish. i have just the common ones that came with plants and they breed massivly, i keep them in my fry tank and the fry love them. the larger ones i have had plecs suck their shells clean but then there are the other fish that think snail would make a nice meal.

6. S-kate

S-kate Large Fish

If your going to start buying snails as fish food, apple snails and mystery snails are probably not the cheapest route. Most places will give you pond snalis or those trumpet snails for free because they are pests.

7. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK Elite Fish

Could be the botia too, that type of loach likes to eat snails.

8. fish_chic

fish_chic Large Fish

thanks everyone. i hear ya on the cheapest route. the apple snails where $3 bucks a piece and where only in the tank for 4 days. i think i will ask around about the free snails, bc it seems one or some of the fish love the snails.

Want To Reply or Ask A Question?
Join our forum today (it's free!) in one easy step! Click Here To Join!