Damaged Betta fins and healing time

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
They will not heal until you
1. separate your bettas
2. separate both of the bettas from the crayfish...

Otherwise with good water, no stress, and quality food, the regular fins will heal within 3 days completely on a healthy Betta (no matter how deep)
The cadual fins, if bitten off will heal much slower, taking many weeks to grow back...

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
They will not heal until you
1. separate your bettas
2. separate both of the bettas from the crayfish...

Otherwise with good water, no stress, and quality food, the regular fins will heal within 3 days completely on a healthy Betta (no matter how deep)
The cadual fins, if bitten off will heal much slower, taking many weeks to grow back...
Maybe his sig's been edited between when you posted and I read.. I only see one betta and no crayfish :S

Agree with the rest though. If the damage is extensive, I'd suggest using some melafix. How exactly did they get bitten off? It sounds to me like you need to get rid of whatever in the tank did it.

EDIT: just seen the other thread >.< nevermind! Please in future keep questions to the one thread, it makes it confusing for other forum members and difficult to give proper advice when everything is spread out.

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
sorry king...my answer was aimed at the topic starter though, and he/she would recognize what I was talking about lol

unless your comment's directed at skalos, in which case yes, the ripped fins healing will indeed depend on some info from his other thread ;)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Yea, then the healing times I suggested should work for you (assuming you will separate the duo)

Good call on the cray, you see those should really be kept in a species tank, with lots of caves and substrate to dig around in. multiple crays can be kept together in a large tank, but no cray should be housed in less than a 10-15 gallon tank ;)

As for the pair of Betta, I will say that I've seen such occurrences but only in HUGE tanks. where the female can hide from the male. in such a small tank I cannot see how it will work (I've bred Betta before and am quite familiar with their aggressive nature)

Their first impression together can be quite decieving! One day they may be all "^__^" while the next day you may find one curled up and dead, floating in the current, and the other badly bruised...
Male and Female Betta should NOT be kept together unless you breed them, and then again only when they've gone through conditioning and in a proper tank set-up...
Otherwise you're asking for trouble and dead/sick fish...I cannot stress this enough :(