com pleco dead? after water change

k-ven

Small Fish
Jan 14, 2004
Visit site
Hey anybody know what may have caused the death of my pleco after a water change? The tank has been set up for months now he was about 3-5 inches. changed the water two hours later he was dead, no other fish have died since, any help would be great.

k-ven

Small Fish
Jan 14, 2004
Visit site
I had it in a 29g growin it out to be in my 55g, it is with a rubber lip pleco and barbs and cory's, They have all been in there for a long time. I have feed the pleco's alge wafers every other day or so, and I have a cheap regent 60 gallon filter on it. the flter works great, the pleco was on the glass for a while before I found it dead. I hope this helps. Thanks

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Well, if you remembered to dechlorinate the water and the water you added was of a similar temp to the tank water, I can't see how a waterchange would kill him. How often do you generally change the water?

It could just be one of those mysterious fish deaths.

k-ven

Small Fish
Jan 14, 2004
Visit site
levia7han I tell you what, Mr filtration you made me buy it. PUrple That is all I feed my alge eaters is wafers. Lotus tank size again is 30 with barb's and cory's.

Levia7han don't have wife cuz he slit her with a fishy knife.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Well, one point is that 1 - 3 gallons isn't really much of a water change on a 29 or 30g tank (sorry, I didn't read the second post thouroughly). You should do a minimum of 3 gallons, probably 5 or 10 would be better. Have you tested your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
ermmmm.......'ol Hypostomus pl*costomus eats a lot of things - algae being only one. Probably died of starvation like the others. Don't believe it ? - try a diet of lettuce for the rest of your life.

You may want to take a look at this before you get another http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/gpleco2.html

I know a lot of Pl*cos are algae only - but the common Pl*cs eat flake - wafers - prawns, a variety of veg - anything going basically. No wonder the poor thing was on the glass - probably trying to eat it.

levia7han

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2003
Nebraska
Visit site
you starved your fish.... I hold myself to blame.. I should have said something.... cry

purple. Hes gonna say that he had 2 commons in a 20 gallon for like 5 years and thats all he fed. But he had goldfish with them... and they are so messy that there was plenty left over for them to eat.

Um. I got thinking too. You dont have covers around your heater. I dont know. But wasnt he hideing on those for awile there. He could have died of burns.... I bet there was a amonia/nitrite spike when you added those coreys. But I dont think that would have killed the plec. Would have gotten the coreys first I would think.

More than likely it was just your raping that killed the fish.. or maybe you were playing your 2-pack too much and it died from hearing the same song over and over again... I know I would have killed myself.

Lev

Gerdie

Small Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
Water changes should be around 15%-25%, which means in a 29 gallon should be 4 to over 7 gallons. But I would think it would have gotten to the other fish first. I had a plec a while ago that just died after a little under a month. I determined it wasn't conditions because the Blue Rams (as sensitive as they are) and all of the other fish never showed the first sign of stress. I fed everything from algea wafers to cucumbers, lettuce & carrots to shinking shrimp pellots. But wouldn't eat them. He ended up starving himself to death, not because I didn't feed him, but for one reason or another, he wasn't eating what I was feeding. I don't know if something else was stressing him and causing him not to eat or what.

Another quetstion, do you have driftwood in your tank. Most plecos need driftwood in the tank....

levia7han

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2003
Nebraska
Visit site
K-ven here not lappy

ok guys I have had fish for a long time, and most of the time I change the water like I should, I treat my fish better than my wife. I was just wondering if any one had a idea's for a not so major question. I have just had no luck with pleco's.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
So - you treat your fish better than you treat your wife - and this is the 3rd one you've had die on you huh? - lol - fair enough

Seriously though - sometimes Pl*cos just refuse to eat, often when first aquired. Not unusual to have one starve to death out of stubborness. Next time you choose a fish - chuck a prawn in the lfs tank - you want the first fish that gets it.

k-ven

Small Fish
Jan 14, 2004
Visit site
I had another barb die saterday from the same tank and the rest of my tiger barbs all have sollown belly's and set and float almost upside down, but the still swim really good, any Ideas if I have a parisite or something else, but my green barbs still look ok from the same tank?????