Welcome to MyFishTank.Net!

Have A Question? Join our awesome community today and it's free!

Cold water algy eaters

Discussion in 'Goldfish/Coldwater Discussion' started by 2e0raf, Aug 16, 2005.

1. 2e0raf

2e0raf Large Fish

Is ther such a thing.. i need one for my goldie tank somthing small as its only a 10gal.

i seem to get a lot of the brown looking algy yes my nitrite levels are fine acording to my test kit.

wht can i do. and b4 anyone suggests a bigger tank i nither have the monew or the room let alone the willpower to talk the wife around *SUPERSMIL

2. Cutlass

Cutlass Large Fish

A Hillstream Loach is probably your best bet. You'll need some current in there though.

3. PerfectAngel

PerfectAngel Medium Fish

I have a plecostomus (if that's correct) in the tank with my goldfish.... mmmm maybe i shoudln't tell you that.. i didn't knwo they had to be a certain type of algae eater for cold water...

4. Chazwick

Chazwick Large Fish

As you have a 10GAL - I'd suggest you look up the fish you're planning on getting, mainly because some need quite abit of room! I have always thought a snail was the right way to go... It's up to you. Just PLEASE research the fish first.

PS: A Hillstream loach is a hard little fish to find! Plus - with any Loach, they have their moments of aggression (so i've heard).. and as they need a currant, you'll have to spend abit more to buy an air pump or something for them.. Hmmmm - Perhaps a huge tank cleanout will solve the problem.

5. JNevaril

JNevaril Large Fish

go for a snail....

You could get a pleco, but they can get HUGE......

And, I don't think oto's are okay in a goldie tank......

Siamese algae eaters are too agressive....and are tropical....

6. NoDeltaH2O

NoDeltaH2O Superstar Fish

Amano shrimp prefer cooler temps as well, and they do an awesome job on algae. I keep CAE, SAE, and Amanos in my unheated tank. Temps get down to about 68 or 70 in the winter and the fish love it.

7. TaffyFish

TaffyFish Superstar Fish

Best fish I found for clearing up algae in a coldwater tank is a garra pingi pingi.
    Like the hillstream loach, they are hard to track down and very territorial - I have two in a four foot tank and one keeps the other in a corner.
    Hillstream loaches are difficult to keep long term. Like many, mine just died on me and didn't seek to put on any weight despite eating all day long.
    I wouldn't keep a pleco in a 20g with a goldfish.

Want To Reply or Ask A Question?
Join our forum today (it's free!) in one easy step! Click Here To Join!