Cold water algy eaters

2e0raf

Large Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Preston UK
Is ther such a thing.. i need one for my goldie tank somthing small as its only a 10gal.

i seem to get a lot of the brown looking algy yes my nitrite levels are fine acording to my test kit.

wht can i do. and b4 anyone suggests a bigger tank i nither have the monew or the room let alone the willpower to talk the wife around *SUPERSMIL

As you have a 10GAL - I'd suggest you look up the fish you're planning on getting, mainly because some need quite abit of room! I have always thought a snail was the right way to go... It's up to you. Just PLEASE research the fish first.

PS: A Hillstream loach is a hard little fish to find! Plus - with any Loach, they have their moments of aggression (so i've heard).. and as they need a currant, you'll have to spend abit more to buy an air pump or something for them.. Hmmmm - Perhaps a huge tank cleanout will solve the problem.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Amano shrimp prefer cooler temps as well, and they do an awesome job on algae. I keep CAE, SAE, and Amanos in my unheated tank. Temps get down to about 68 or 70 in the winter and the fish love it.

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
Best fish I found for clearing up algae in a coldwater tank is a garra pingi pingi.
Like the hillstream loach, they are hard to track down and very territorial - I have two in a four foot tank and one keeps the other in a corner.
Hillstream loaches are difficult to keep long term. Like many, mine just died on me and didn't seek to put on any weight despite eating all day long.
I wouldn't keep a pleco in a 20g with a goldfish.