Cloudy Water

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
oh ok thank you.
Hey if anybody needs air tubing there is this guy on ebay he sells it .99$ for 5 feet. and its like 1.82$ to ship. Total for me was 2.81
I guess thats a good deal

Petsmart is having a sale 5 for 5$ on select tetras
and 2 for 10$ on all glofish

also, for the air tubing do i need to get a check valve? my air pump is going to be sitting on top of my tank in the back next to the filter

Feb 27, 2009
Hey if anybody needs air tubing there is this guy on ebay he sells it .99$ for 5 feet. and its like 1.82$ to ship. Total for me was 2.81
I guess thats a good deal
You can buy it at 'home improvement' type stores too. I bought 50ft at Lowes for 11cents per foot a few months back.

also, for the air tubing do i need to get a check valve? my air pump is going to be sitting on top of my tank in the back next to the filter
If the airpump will remain above the water level, there is no need for a check valve (water can't siphon UPHILL).

However, that being said, I always use them if I use an airpump. I've ruined a few when I moved them (for just a few minutes while cleaning), and forgot to put them back above the water level. Well worth the 2 or 3$ they cost.

Just my 2cents.
OC

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
You can buy it at 'home improvement' type stores too. I bought 50ft at Lowes for 11cents per foot a few months back.

If the airpump will remain above the water level, there is no need for a check valve (water can't siphon UPHILL).

However, that being said, I always use them if I use an airpump. I've ruined a few when I moved them (for just a few minutes while cleaning), and forgot to put them back above the water level. Well worth the 2 or 3$ they cost.

Just my 2cents.
OC
well pets mart isnt cheap i think the air pump i got is like 28 bucks lol

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You can Google "Tetra safe start" and then find the link for Q & A and that should answer most of your questions. You can also search on this site and find where I posted it a couple of days ago. It has apparently been around for at least a couple of years. From my reading it sounds like it is important to follow their instructions.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Don't kick yourself over it. You didn't know and what's done is done. No use crying over spilled milk...unless it's Chuck Norris' milk. Then you're gonna die. ROFL! Sorry...was just reading one of my Chuck Norris facts posters.

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
Well i went ahead and got an oscar and a Plecostomus. im going to be getting a bigger tank in like 4 months and i wanted an oscar really bad so i got him!
The oscar is named: "Sharkbait" My 3 year old cousin picked it. she picked it on the way home
The Plecostomus name is "lippy" My mom named it xD

Only thing is i have them sitting in the tank in the bag. Do i keep them over night and in the morning when i wake up and the water levels do i wait till tomorrow to put the "TSS" in? or do i do it tonight and let it circulate??

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Put the TSS in now and then add the fish in the morning. Are they in the same bag? Most stores won't put different species in the same bag, even if they're in the same tank in the store (the LFS where I got my GBRs and angel is a perfect example of this...I bought four different fish and walked out with four different bags).

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
yeah there in 2 different bags. The TSS is weird it says
2. Add Entire bottle to aquarium (up to 30 gallons)
So that means to add the whole bottle even though my tank is 15 gallons??

it says to add fish immediately, will it make a difference if there not added tonight or added in the morning? also how long would you say it takes for the water in the bag to reach change to the temp of the tank?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Yes, add the whole bottle. The "up to 30 gallons" part just means that the amount of bacteria in the whole bottle is good for any size tank up to 30 gallons. (Not sure if that made sense...it did in my head lol).

If the bottle says add the fish immediately, add the fish immediately. Like I said, I've never used TSS, I've just read reviews and such from other people who have.

As far as acclimating the fish, don't just dump them in the tank. Float the bags for about 15-20 minutes to allow the temperature to adjust. Then open the bags and pour a cup of tank water into each bag and reclose them. Repeat this every half hour or so for about an hour and a half. Ever since I started acclimating my fish this way, I haven't lost one. What this method does is help the fish adjust gradually to the new conditions of the water they'll be living in. Also, add the pleco first, then about 15 minutes later add the oscar.

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
ok well i just put in the TSS and the fish have been sitting in the bag in the tank for about 30 min. i have had the air pump running with the air stone hanging down this is until i get my 5 feet of tubing to put the circle air stone into the new skull i bought at pets mart :D.

One Problem...The fish bags are filled with air that pets mart put in also the rubber band is on there so damn tight idk if i can get it off

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
Updated: i added the TSS and then i seen an article online that says to make sure you add the fish so itl like start the cycle if u dont it says like youll starve the bacteria and it will be a waste. The fish have been in the bag for 30-35 minutes now. what do i do?? i just hope i didnt waste 13 bucks

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Hmmmm...that could be a problem. I usually have spare small rubberbands laying around (from the bags I take my plants out of after I buy them), so I don't worry about cutting the rubberband if needed. You could use a twist-tie or clothes pin to hold it closed after you open it. The air thing doesn't matter all that much. Every time you open it, you'll be putting new air into the bag anyway, so it's all good.

It takes more than a couple of hours for the bacteria to starve. It takes at least a day or two. You'll be fine.

Sep 30, 2010
California
facebook.com
Well i put the TSS in and did the fish thing about 1 hour in i put a cup of tank water into the bag and let them both sit for about thirty minutes then i put the pleco in 15 minutes before the oscar. I think it was a success also last night the water was cloudy before i put the tss inside the tank and now this morning the tank is super clear! ^^
Thanks so much Everybody for all your help

Also Bass Now Since the tank is clear and not cloudy do you still want me to follow what you said to do?