Welcome to MyFishTank.Net!

Have A Question? Join our awesome community today and it's free!

Can platties, guppies, and swordtails live single?

Discussion in 'FreshWater General Discussion' started by platty, Jan 1, 2006.

1. platty

platty New Fish

I would like to know if platties, guppies, and mollies can live single and be ok. I found out that neon tetras need to live in groups. Thanks to anyone that replies.

2. PlecoCollector

PlecoCollector Superstar Fish

As far as I know, fish can live single, but that won't mean that they'd be happy about it. I have a single guppy/endler in with about 15 platy fry, and he enjoys himself, but only because he has company. You'd be better off with them in groups though.
    What are you planning on doing?

3. swordtailraiser

swordtailraiser Small Fish

swordtails and guppies and live single but are happier with at least 2 of a kind.

4. swordtailraiser

swordtailraiser Small Fish

mollies i suggest putting at least 2 together.

5. platty

platty New Fish

To PlecoCollector

I was planning to keep three or four different fish. One guppy, one platty, one swordtail, and I forgot to ask the same question about sunset variatus. I had a neon tetra and it may have died of loneliness. They do best in at least six. If anyone else knows about sunset variatus I would like to hear from them too.

6. Seleya

Seleya Superstar Fish

If you have the option of keeping a few fish, it'd be better for them to be in a group of one type and you would find it more pleasing to the eye in the long run as well. How large a tank are we talking about? Swords require larger tanks than guppies and platies. Variatus are a type of platy.

7. TheFighterFish

TheFighterFish Large Fish

I only have a 4.4 gallon with a red swordtail fish (male). I'm planning to get another male swordtail. Considering the tank space, what other species could I, or should I put in?

8. FroggyFox

FroggyFox Forum Manager

IMO that tank really isn't big enough for more than those two swordtails.

9. FishGeek

FishGeek Elite Fish

I have a bachelor Guppy cause he killed the females that I had wil him (3)

Want To Reply or Ask A Question?
Join our forum today (it's free!) in one easy step! Click Here To Join!