bullying angelfish

Rey

New Fish
May 13, 2011
I have a problem, well I recently put in two mature silver angelfish into my 125 gallon tank they started breeding right away but I then added two albino young angelfish. One is very small and the other grew almost to a half dollar size while the other stayed about a quarter size and the two silver angelfish were bullying the younger albinos so I put the silver angelfish in a 40 gallon where they are now the only angelfish again. But I would like to add them back to the 125 gallon or do you think the same thing will happen again? should I get more angelfish so there will be less fighting? Are the albinos much weaker of a angelfish should I keep them isolated from the other two big silver angelfish?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Once angels pair off, they do bully other angelfish and other fish. It's probably not going to work in the 125g. You may get away with it if it's heavily planted and the pairs can establish their own areas, but it's not certain to work.

May 15, 2011
Hi- new here but not new to Angels. :)

You could try a few things- though none of this stuff is guaranteed to work. I can just say what has worked for me.

In some cases- adding more Angels could work. You have to make sure your tank is heavily planted- real or fake plants to create hiding places and break lines of sight.
You have a breeding pair so it's sticky. They will fiercely bully and guard eggs.

Keeping them in the 40 at least for a couple of weeks to mellow them out could be good. If you can rearrange your tank, the best thing to do when you do this is take the angels out into a bucket for a bit- rearrange and put them back in. They will establish new territories. Then in a week or 2 put the pair back in. It has always worked for me.

Other options- rehome one of the pair or keep them in the 40.

Some say- size matters but I have kept angels of all sizes together without too much trouble.
They are bullying because they are a pair and have been in the tank longer. The Albino's can be more delicate but I think it's their size more than anything. Territories have been established already.

Of course- there are some Angels that nothing you do helps- true bully's that can be brutal. "In which case- I would rehome.