breeding clown fish

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I've been doing some reading up on the subject and was wondering if anyone else has been able to breed them. and if so how dificult can it be? i pay for all my freshwater stuff through breeding and was going to try to do the same with my saltwater tank and maybe work up enough to upgrade my tank as it seems if done properly clown fish can be prolific breeders and at $15-$20 each money can stack up pretty quickly.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think the only way to do it is to set up a tank with only clownfish. Mine were laying eggs regularly for about 18 months, but I never saw any fry after they released from the rock. Saltwater fish seem to be much better hunters than freshwater fish. My experience was that there's no way they will survive in a community tank. I know the folks over at ReefCentral have some good book recommendations on breeding clownfish.

I did manage to raise banggai cardinal babies, and that was a lot of work compared to breeding freshwater fish. They would only eat live baby brine shrimp and were much more delicate than most freshwater fry I've raised.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
well from what i read u need to move the fry over to another tank either by moving the rock with the eggs on it the night they will hatch or by syphoning them out. and they will only eat live food, they wont touch flake frozen or dry foods. u need to raise algea for rotifiers and feed those at first then raise baby brine shrimp and feed them that stuff 3 times a day for a few weeks. this is the site i got the info from Culturing Plankton | Breeding Clownfish But it does seem pretty tough but would like to give it a try. but i wanted to see what others on this site had to say about it as everyone on here seems to have better and generally clearer advice.