Breeding Bloodworms

I've been trying to find infomration about breeding bloodworms. I read somewhere (maybe on this forum) about someone to had bloodworms survivng and breeding in thier tank.

Does anyone know about breeding bloodworms or even what kind of conditions they would need to survive for the long term??

Fruitbat

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2004
Garland, TX
Visit site
Bloodworms are the larvae of a small Chironomid fly called a 'midge'. They are found in practically any body of water with a muddy bottom. Unless you have a facility where you can raise the larvae into adults (they go through complete metamorphosis), then provide a place for the adults to fly and swarm, and then lay their eggs you won't be able to breed them.

I think an earlier post discussed the fact that Tubifex worms, especially the 'red tubifex' are often mistakenly called bloodworms. Tubifex worms are true worms and will take up residence in your aquarium substrate if they aren't eaten. However, breeding them in large enough quantity to serve as fishfood isn't really practical.

In both cases (true blood'worms' and tubifex worms) it is much cheaper to go out and buy them from your local fish store.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
no contrary to common thinking bloodworms aren't mosquito but midge larve as said above.if they were mosquito larve we would all have stagnat pools of water in the backyard to collect fish food(which is a bad idea btw,can you say disease outbreak)glassworms aka white bloodworms are mosquito larve.

Mar 11, 2003
I have had glassworms before. They are a great food. You can feed them when they are larvea or you can feed them when they turn into mosquitos- both of which are great to feed fish.

hrmm try the common run-off-the-mill gammarus. its an amphipod that can be found in the pond. a nice hard shrimp relative, tasty, easy to breed. so if you keep some in your tank (cleaned of course) that arent eaten will breed well. i think. never had gammarus myself, but they breed well supposedly. im pretty sure puffers will eat em...

well, tubifex worms are kinda like worms. they are not larvae of anything. normally larvae that are water livers then convert to flyers float at the surface of the water. the tubifex variety sink, unless im mistaken...

another good yummy thing would be black worms, breeds steadily, yet yummy, dont know if puffers go for them though..