Bluegill tank.

Sep 27, 2009
I just got a new forty gallon tank and I want to make it a bluegill tank. I have a aqueon filter that says it's big enough for a 55 gallon tank. If I do make it a bluegill tank I was wondering how many of the bluegill I could keep in there?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I say one. bluegills need at least 90 gallons, they are large aggressive fish and will probably grow to just under 2 pounds each in the proper setup (and you should always be striving to put fish into a proper setup)
For a 40 gallon maybe you can do some type of little sunfish. I repeat dont do Bluegills.

This is a good site to check out:
http://zimmermansfish.com/Price.html

I know I say one blue gill, but its not best for it to be held in the 40 gal, so thats why i later say do some other type of sunny :)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
I guess everyone does things differently.

A friend of mine in GA has had 7 in a 55 gallon tank for 3 years now. They started out as under 2" (caught in a net when they were hunting for minnows to fish with).

Now the largest is 11", most 9inches or so. The largest one is the 'boss' of the group, no deaths in all that time (he knows about cycling a tank and added them one at a time over 2 months). He hand feeds them, says they are quite personable and not at all shy anymore. And he does 50% water changes weekly.

Mostly he keeps saltwater tanks, this is only one of 2 freshwater tanks he has. The other one is a darter tank. I wish he'd come on here and post some of his reef tank pictures. All fish he has caught while SCUBA diving.