Barbel Growth ?

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
I have 3 corys and 1 in particular that has absolutely no barbels. He was in my 45g with some not so cory friendly gravel. One of my newbie mistakes. Well now i put him in a 10g with small round gravel. I was hoping that just a change in the gravel would make him happy and therefore barbel growth. Well i guess not. What are some factors of no barbels and what are some ways i can encourage them grow back.
Thanks.

- depthC

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
i have a more definitive anwser. yes they do,but never as long and full as if they had never eroded at all.barbel erosion is caused by either sharp gravel or undesierable bacteria living in your gravel(or cheesey castels with air pump driven drawbridges,my pepperd cory got is barbs stuck inbetween the drawbridge once and it tore the barbels righ off!)it goes without saying just clean that gravel and they should start to heal.rarely ever do i think it's sharp gravel,most of us use fine pea gravel coated with epoxy which makes it farily smooth.

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Well then assuming that it is bacteria, how do i lower the count to make the conditions more desireable. The tank is stocked with 8 zebra danios and 3 Corys. So could it be that the tank is somewhat overstocked?

- depthC