ballon molly rubbing against glass, gravel, and plants

i got some more fish in my tank last week, when i added them, i started "Para Guard" that is "particularly useful in hospital and receiving tanks for new fish and whenever new fish are introduced to a community tank." it "effectively and efficiently eradicates many ectoparasites (e.g. ich, ect.) and external fungal/bacterial/viral lesions (e.g., fin rot).

i used this to prevent ICH when i added my new fish... i havent stopped treating it yet because last time i got fish and did the same and when i stoped the next day i got ICH..

REAL QUESTION IS: my ballon molly has been rubbing on the glass, gravel, and plants for the past few days... i wasnt too concern untill i watched him today and he seemed to be doing it more... i dont know what it could be since i AM currently treating the tank... i thought it could be ich, but there are no spots on any fish on my tank, and they are all eating well... could maby the "Para Guard" be irratating the fish's scales or somthing?

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
Yeah the medication could be affecting the bacteria in the tank. Also what were your reading before you put the new fish in? Sometimes putting extra fish in cause the balance of the tank to switch and the bio-filter can't keep up with the extra ammonia production.

Fish will often scratch due to ammonia burning. Does he or she have red streaks around the gill areas? Does the fish gasp towards the surface or look at all labored during breathing?

What size is the tank? How many fish? It is tough to really pin-point a problem when information isn't present. I would check the parameters and then check back. Could be something you missed.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
white spot and ich are the same thing. Preggoguppo - ich treatments are only effective during the free swarming stage of the life cycle. Your fish could still have ich and it hasn't been released from the ruptured cycsts yet (ie the white spots we see). I would look for spots over the next couple days to see if anything springs up, and keep up with the treatment. Also, keep an eye out for velvet which is often mistaken for ich. However, if the fish is constantly scratching on stuff I would say something is irritating her, although I doubt it's the medication as long as it's being used properly and I'm sure you are.