Bala Shark Swimming on it's Side

xarumitzu

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
I have a 75G tank, when I got back from my classes today I noticed my Bala Shark swimming on it's side. I don't think it's dying because it does swim, but it seems to drift around the tank with the current. I was doing a bit of research and I think there is a problem with it's swim bladder. Could this be the case? Or do you think my Shark is dying? I did a 30% water change and water tested as follows:

Water readings: pH - 7
NO3 - 7
NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Is the fish floating at the surface on its side or just generally swimming on its side? Does it seem to struggle to swim downwards, and almost immediately "pop" back to the surface when it does? If so then you're right, swim bladder.

The thing that confuses me though, is that your readings are fine, and usually this is a sign of bad water quality. If it's caused by a blockage in the intestines, I've heard that feeding the fish peas can work as they're a natural laxative. However, if it's a bacterial infection or illness causing the swim bladder you need to determine the source of this before you treat.

xarumitzu

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
Is the fish floating at the surface on its side or just generally swimming on its side? Does it seem to struggle to swim downwards, and almost immediately "pop" back to the surface when it does? If so then you're right, swim bladder.

The thing that confuses me though, is that your readings are fine, and usually this is a sign of bad water quality. If it's caused by a blockage in the intestines, I've heard that feeding the fish peas can work as they're a natural laxative. However, if it's a bacterial infection or illness causing the swim bladder you need to determine the source of this before you treat.
The fish does seem to float to the surface and then struggle to swim downwards. After that it'll drift around the tank while floating right back to the top again. I'll try feeding the fish peas and take a sample of water to my LFS to be tested. Maybe they can see something that I missed. I appreciate your reply.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Well just a little update. Unfortunately the Bala didn't make it. Thanks for your help though. I appreciate it.
Sorry to hear he didn't make it.
Bala's aren't really suited to home aquariums, despite what the staff at LFS says. They grow extremely large (2 foot plus) and require lots of water and a very large tank once they grow, like 300g+. Also these fish really require a school of no less than 5 to thrive and be happy.
If you want a shark maybe pick a different kind. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.