Algae Wafer Brand??

What do you prefer? (pick a brand and a container type)

• Hikari

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Wardley

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Nutrafin

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other Brand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In a bag (resealable)

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • In a bottle with a screw-tite lid

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other Container

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hey all...I finally ran out of Spirulina Algae Wafers a couple weeks ago (I dont go through them very fast haha) but when I went back to Petsmart to find some more, they didn't have my nutrafin kind. All they had were two different kinds and they were both in bags. (Hikari and Wardley I believe)

SO this is a several part question.

#1 What type and/or brand do you prefer and why? (are there other types besides the spirulina?)

#2 Does anyone use a brand that comes in a BAG instead of a little airtight container with a screw on lid? If you do, then does it work?? they looked kind of crumbly to me...

#3 Which of your fish do you feed the wafers to...and which of your fish actually end up eating them?

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
i perfer wardleys algae wafers,mainly due to the high veggie content.other wafers have fish meal,and while thats not nessicarly a bad thing,it's just not something i look for in a algae wafer.i store my foor in a can(like shrimp pellet cans,or in old hikari freeze dried food cans,with a silicate o2 absorber,then inside a ziplock bag(overkill huh?)who eats the wafers everyone but the big pleco,my tetras will pick at the wafers,the guppys too,but my ottos most of all

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Are those wardley ones that originally come in a resealable plastic bag? and you move them to a different container then? Have you had a problem with them crumbling?? or could I have just seen some that had been crushed in shipment or something...

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
i use hikari algae wafers in a resealable (sp?) bag for my plec, they always seemed to be fully formed ( not crushed i mean ) and my pleco loves them. Dont really know much about the nutritional value of them, but they work for me :)

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I use HBH, they come in a green container with a screw top lid. The label says they have the highest veggie content on the market, and the first two lines of ingredients are vegetable products, I think they are probably pretty good, but I guess you guys could tell me better than I can tell you, as I am a newbie. :)

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
no,i put the wafers,still in the bag into a can or tupperware.the ziplock on the bags always comes lose from one side of the bad and i have no seal.so i just started keeping the wafers in acontainet that will stay fresh.i do have a bit of a crumbling problem,but i think thats due to the size and thickness of the wafer more than anything else.an inherinent flaw i suppose.but the majority is full wafers,more crumbs as i get to the bottom.the hbh wafers are nice,but they do use fish meal if i remember correctly(please correct me if i'm wrong)here they are an occasional item at petsmart so i don't pick them up over the wardley.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We have Hikari and Top Tin, as well as the Marineland Bio blend tablets. Different fish seem to like different ones of those. I think the Top Fin ones have more meaty taste to them. Only the swordtails seem to like the Bio Blend ones. We got both the Hikari and Bio blend from Big Als, where it's a lot cheaper if you're buying big bags. I haven't found any problems with the resealable bags, the wafers seem to stay pretty crisp and I haven't had any crumbling issues.

Fish that eat our wafers: cories, plecos, livebearers, loaches.

May 28, 2003
Food Chain, Ontario
Visit site
I use Hikari algae and spirulina tablets. There are ingredient differences, but the fish don't seem partial to one over the other.
I also have Nutrafin Sinking Meat pellets, but haven't really given them much of a go.

The plecos and the gourami are the ones who mainly eat the algae wafers, but the danios nibble a little bit too.

dana307

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Massachusetts
Wardley's is the one I buy I think. I toss em all into a container to keep fresh, reduce chipping as the come in a bag. They work fine for me, fish never complain. When I have had a pleco, I would feed him wafers. Now I toss one in every 3-4 days and the mollies and clown loaches eat em up. Haven't seen too many fish that will turn em down. Cories and blood parrot chomp on them a bit too.