Adding German Ram Cichlids to community tank

Jun 26, 2006
Washington State
I currently have a 30 gallon the contains 4 adult guppies, 4 juvenile guppies, guppy fry, 2 adult ghost shrimp, 2 juvenile dwarf puffers (about 3/4"), Almost full grown Chinese Algae eater (4"), Albino dwarf catfish (2") and a pleco (4-5"). I would like to add a male and 2 female German blue Ram Cichlids or 2-3 females, no male. Any suggestions? Ideas? Are the rest of my fish in danger of becoming dinner (guppy fry are always dinner)?

Thanks!*thumbsups

Lilly_pad

Small Fish
Jun 15, 2006
Once those puffers get bigger.... Theyll be the only fish left! Definately not a community fish... not in aggresivity but as in the fact that eventually they will take a bite out of curiousity. Those shrimp will probably the first to go!
Yikes! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
The rams should be fine in there. I would take a look at your current stock tho.

The plec is going to get way to big for your tank. CAEs get nasty when they get older, and I am shocked your puffers are not harassing the crap out of your other fish. Generally they can only be kept in a species only tank. Guess they didn't know that.

Welcome to the tank!

Jun 26, 2006
Washington State
I am considering getting rid of the Pleco. He can go live with 2 Jack Dempseys that I have been babysitting for 4 months. The puffers are hanging out together & do not seem to bother anyone else but I can move them into their own 3g tank. If I get rid of the CAE how do I keep the algae down. Him and the Albino catfish seem to be good friends as they are always together. Can the puffers be in with anything? They are only suppose to get to 2.5"

My main thing is that the Ram does not eat the guppies. I have done some research and they should get along. I am hoping to get juve rams as I don't feel comfortable putting full grown in.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Naa the rams won't give a whooy about the guppies, well the fry will be a welcomed treat. Otos will work to keep algae under control, or replace the pleco with a bristle nose plec he will do a good job too and will stay small enough for your tank.

The only fish I've heard of being able to live with the puffers are Otos. The puffs don't seem to notice them.

Jun 26, 2006
Washington State
Newby here... what are Otos? Should I get a male & 2 female Rams or just stick with females? I have attached a pic of my tank. Still need to get a backdrop... any suggestions on color to accent the colors on the fish?

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Even if the puffers aren't bothering any other fish, they will still shredd them up sooner or later. A 3 gallon wouldn't be big enough for 2 of them. They are very messy fish and need at least 3 gallons to every puffer. I suggest if you want to keep them, to put them in a 6 gallon tank with some otos for algae.

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
CAE's will get nasty when they are older. They tend to start staking out territories, and will most likely attack the rams if you get them (since they tend to stay towards the bottom)