16 Gallon Dutch Aquarium Journal (PICS!!)

GregBox

Small Fish
Nov 10, 2009
Well, I had an extra 16 gallon tank lying around that was just collecting dust so I decided to try and build a dutch aquarium with DIY CO2. The tank is a 16 gallon tetra tank with (at the moment) single 18" t-8 bulb. The tank will be used to grow plants to periodically rescape my 29 gallon and maybe as a breeder tank eventually.

Day one (1-4)
Bought: 20lbs of Nature's Miracle Marine Sand ($16.99)
Duetto 100 Submersible Filter ($39.99)
Two Pieces of Driftwood ($15.99)
Planted one pot of Microsword and Hygro ($12.97)
Day one Picture after fill up

Day two (1-5)
Woke up to tannins...lots and lots of tannins*ALL*

Reboiled the driftwood, and did a 50% Water change
Note: I also ordered some plants from Aquarium Supplies, Pet Supplies and Pond Supplies by That Fish Place - That Pet Place today. More to come.

Day three (1-6)
Again woke up to tannins and started to suspect that there was something wrong with a piece of driftwood i bought from the lfs. This prompted me to remove and re-reboil the driftwood and do another 50% water change.
Picture before the WC:

After Change

Day four (1-7)
Bought: Driftwood ($9.99 Petco)
Plants ($28.00 online)
My plants were scheduled to arrive today so I bought some new driftwood and when I got home from work planted the 8 plants and added the new driftwood.

Pictures of the current set up

Day five (1-8)
Though more flow would be needed, so I added two hagen mini elite filters (58GPH each.)

Close ups of the plants
Crypts

Mint Charile

GregBox

Small Fish
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks Anshuman, I'll have to see if I can get my brother to make a video since it is actually going to be his tank and the tank is home with him in NJ when I'm at school in WV. I'm really interested to see how the plants come out as this is my first DIY CO2 tank.

GregBox

Small Fish
Nov 10, 2009
Done unwritten...and please calm down....i don't want to know what you do in that room of yours..
Update
1-13-10 Odessea 65w 6700k compact florescent. $50 ebay

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
niiiiiiiiice.
now you just need some micro sword to fill up that space...are you going to separate and plant that micro to create a carpet, or are you just gonna keep it bunched up in that corner ._.

GregBox

Small Fish
Nov 10, 2009
I'm planning on having it carpet just that one corner, I'll have to have my brother do that since it will be his tank. The only reason why I did not start it out that way way because of the fragility of the roots of microsword when you take it out of that blasted rock wool it comes shipped in. The keyholes that are going to go in there also would like some sand to rummage too as well hence only a corner carpeting.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
hairgrass? I really don't see any in that tank unless the bunch on the right is considered hairgrass (sorry I'm used to dwarf hairgrass, and that looks nothing like it...) but I agree you should spread it out. same goes for the micros...but that's up to your bro

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
hairgrass? I really don't see any in that tank unless the bunch on the right is considered hairgrass (sorry I'm used to dwarf hairgrass, and that looks nothing like it...) but I agree you should spread it out. same goes for the micros...but that's up to your bro
Damn, I meant microsword.. long day, doesn't help that I was up all night writing essays! Thanks for pointing that out.

GregBox

Small Fish
Nov 10, 2009
Well my brother has assumed full responsibility and control of the tank. Window shade was left open so the mint charlie has died, he has since kept the window shut. Also the algae was getting a little extreme so he added a golden inca snail and two oto's. The co2 was also modified to run through a gang valve and into one of the hagen mini elites, the gang valve is helping to keep the bottles from collapsing.
To replace the mint charlies some Golden Ribbons were purchased, also the grass melted from having way way too much light with the window opened and was replaced with some bamboo. (I know bamboo is less than ideal but with 4wpg and proper fertz it will grow submersed).

Purchase Run down (all sourced at local petco).
Golden Ribbon 6.99
Bamboo 4.99
Nutrafin plant grow 8.99
Gang valve 8.99
Air bar 2.99

Pictures:

GregBox

Small Fish
Nov 10, 2009
I always thought that dutch was an aquarium that only had plants. This was going to be my plant farm tank but my brother took such a liking to it that I let him have it and just went pressurized in my 29 gallon.

GregBox

Small Fish
Nov 10, 2009
My brother was nice enough to send me some more pictures, enjoy.
Side profile, really interested to track the bamboo, still looks healthy after one month of being submerged.

Otto relaxing

Full Frontal Shot