Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Light for a 29 gallon reef tank?

This is a discussion on Light for a 29 gallon reef tank? within the Saltwater General Discussion forums, part of the Saltwater category;
Hey everyone, What are some of your recommendation for a good light? I am going to go "reef" eventually so ...

Question Light for a 29 gallon reef tank?

Hey everyone,
    What are some of your recommendation for a good light? I am going to go "reef" eventually so I need something that the live rock and coral can grow off of. Web links to products would be cool.

I don't have a huge budget, as in hundreds of dollars, but I could toss a bill or a bill 50 max. the cheaper the better! haha

Let me know what you all think. I actually have a 400 watt Metal Halide with ballast but just figured it would be way to much for that small of a tank lol It puts out alot of heat.
    90 GALLON - 2 Lemon Oscar, 2 Tiger Oscar, 1 Red Oscar, 1 Dragon Fish, 1 Clown Knife, 2 Bristle Nose Pleco, 4 Red Devil Crawfish, Convict Cichlid Fry
    29 GALLON - 1 Coral Beauty Angel, 1 Three Striped Damsel, 2 Green Spotted Puffer
    20 GALLON LONG - 4 African Cichlid, 1 Chinese Algae Eater
    20 GALLON -
    10 GALLON - 2 Convict Cichlid Breeding Pair, 1 Chinese Algae Eater, 1 Blue Mystery Snail
    10 GALLON Quarantine Tank - Convict Cichlid Fry, 2 Chinese Algae Eater

Question

I have found these 3;

Aquarium Lighting T5 Fluorescent Light Fixture: AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixtures

Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting Systems, Adjustable from 24-36 inches LED aquarium lighting LED aquarium light led aquarium lights Marineland LED Double Bright led for aquarium led aquarium moon aquarium led aquarium led moonlight led light

Nova Extreme HO Light Fixture - 2 x 24W - T5 - Saltwater - 30 in.

Or I could just take a gamble and replace my 400 Watt Metal Halid Light bulb. Its a gamble because I am not sure if the bulb is messed up or the ballast. The ballast boots up and the light comes on but after about 10 minutes of burning it starts to flicker very rapidly. Almost not enough to tell, but just enough to annoy you So, could either be the ballast or could be the bulb. The bulb is over a year old and it has a warped glass spot from a "hot spot" or something but it still ignites up and glows bright white'ish blue. I am worried if I get a new bulb ($80) I will put it in and find out 10 minutes later it wasn't the old bulb messed up, it was the ballast all along, woops there was a wast of $80 lol.
    The Metal Halid puts out MAD HEAT also. That is another draw back. Right now, its about a foot and a half above the tanks water level hanging from the ceiling and it heats my tank up fast too, like 80 or even 85 Degrees Fahrenheit in 10 minutes. I always turn it off at that point. (I'm in trial mode with it now, just pulled it out of storage today.)

Well look at my options and let me know what you guys think. Thanks
    Last edited by T.Shaw; 10-05-2011 at 04:58 AM.
    90 GALLON - 2 Lemon Oscar, 2 Tiger Oscar, 1 Red Oscar, 1 Dragon Fish, 1 Clown Knife, 2 Bristle Nose Pleco, 4 Red Devil Crawfish, Convict Cichlid Fry
    29 GALLON - 1 Coral Beauty Angel, 1 Three Striped Damsel, 2 Green Spotted Puffer
    20 GALLON -
    10 GALLON - 2 Convict Cichlid Breeding Pair, 1 Chinese Algae Eater, 1 Blue Mystery Snail

Oh, I also have a extra 24" light hood. So this could be an option too;

Coralife 50/50 Fluorescent Lamps - - PetSmart
    20 GALLON -

If its a double 24" you would be Ok to use it for a wide selection of corals. I have a couple lights from these people and have had great luck with them. T5 HO Fixture, Filter items in topdogsellers store on eBay! . I have the halide t-5 combo for my 40G reef/fish set-up. You do not really need the halide unless there is a specific coral you want that needs it. I changed all my t-5 bulbs it came with to the 18000K. I would suggest this unit with the 4 t-5 bulbs: 24" Metal Halide T5 HO Lighting Reef Marine Coral 346W | eBay .
    Last edited by KcMopar; 10-05-2011 at 07:38 AM.
    150G. Salt water Reef mix tank
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey. Emperor 400, HOT Magnum 350.
    75G. Now converted to Saltwater as of 01/14. Mollies, Chromis, and two Scooter Blenny so far.
    40G. Fish/Reef. Running Algae Turf Scrubbers on ALL my Salt Water tanks, nutrients are at zero to zero-ish on the SW tanks!!
    10G. Pod production tank.

6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Teenie Weenie Fish

Im not sure if these are the correct bulbs for a Saltwater tank but I bought the freshwater version of this light it IS fantastic.. only thing i dislike is the switches to turn them off are on the ballast and they sit down from the light... maybe a + for someone else
    Features: only costed 64.90 shipped.
    Dimensions - 23.50" x 7.50" x 2.15" (2.65" with brackets)
    Extendable to 30" long max with bracket
    Supports 4x 24W T5 High Output lamps
    Supports 2x Bluemoon LED
    Quick disconnect ballast
    Individual power cords for each function
    Non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
    Reflector
    Acrylic splash guard
    CE Certified
    Package includes:
    1x 24" T5 Quad fixture
    2x 24W T5 HO lamps 10000K (Free Item)
    2x 24W T5 HO lamps Actinic Blue (Free Item)
    2x LED(Free Item)

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

these things work great for me.. they also come with a built in 2 LED night light... and the 2Led is actually 2 sets of 2 so its

They do come with the bulbs already so i thought it was a steal..
    pretty.
    Last edited by se7en2686; 10-05-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: forgot to add price lol

Thats the same as I posted but with out the halide, really nice light you have. That would work fine too. I really like the halide on my SW, it really brings out the colors.
    75G. Now converted to Saltwater as of 01/14. Mollies, Chromis, and two Scooter Blenny so far.
    40G. Fish/Reef. Running Algae Turf Scrubbers on ALL my Salt Water tanks, nutrients are at zero to zero-ish on the SW tanks!!

KCMopar, that light is $170 though! I was looking for a light in the $100 range.

Out of the ones you all suggested so far I like this one the best for the price.
    Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

So do you guys think this one is better than the ones I originally picked out in the first post?
    20 GALLON -

I know its more, you dont need halide, I just love what it does for my tank!! That quad light will be great. I have a couple odyessea lights and have had great luck with them. I would go with the quad t-5 to be sure you have enough light. You can always only run 2 or 3 if 4 is to much. I have a 36" double on my 40g and I am going to upgrade to the quad because its not as bright as I would like it. I think a double would not be enough IMO, and the $65.00 price tag is awesome!!!
    T.Shaw likes this.

Hell yeah man, sounds good. Yeah, I love that price too!
    20 GALLON -

Or I could keep the 29 Gallon for a Fish Only tank and do a Nano Style Reef in my 20 Gallon. Then I would get this light;
    Odyssea Metal Halide Pendant
    Just another thought.
    20 GALLON -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast