What equipment do I NEED to have for Fish Only Saltwater tank.

This is a discussion on What equipment do I NEED to have for Fish Only Saltwater tank. within the Saltwater General Discussion forums, part of the Saltwater category;
Hey, I have been keeping freshwater fish for quite a long time, and now I'm thinking of using my 29 ...

Teenie Weenie Fish MrSomethingFishy's Avatar

Default What equipment do I NEED to have for Fish Only Saltwater tank.

Hey, I have been keeping freshwater fish for quite a long time, and now I'm thinking of using my 29 gallon tank as my first Saltwater tank. Jus wondering, what kind of equipment do I need, that I don't have. And what do I use as substrate? I like aragonite, is that good?? Do I need to put live rock in there?? Or can I jus use lace rock or lava rock?? Protien skimmer, is this needed for a FISH ONLY tank?? I have researched it a bit, and I deff do not want to have a reef tank, don't want to have that big of a responsibilty and that much things to have to worry about. I think a fish only tank suits me best, who knows, maybe one day I'll decide to upgrade to that later. Please, any info would be great. Is there anything I'm missing?? Please keep in mind, I want info on FISH ONLY TANK. Thanks.

arganoite sand works. i believe you still need water movement. im not to sure about the other stuff.
    Setting up 10g SW woot

If you only want fish, then you need live rock (1 to 2 lbs. per gallon) and a powerhead or two. Aragonite sand will work. Avoid filters, as they tend to create nitrates in a saltwater tank. You don't really need a protein skimmer. Remember that stocking in a saltwater tank is at a much lower level than in freshwater. You can probably have two or three very small fish in there.
    Lotus and Ecotank's tanks

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

I agree with the posts above. With a tank that small a skimmer isn't necessary. Live rock and good flow will be your filtration and aragonite substrate will work.

TRe
    Rimless 82g SPS/Reef 48x22x18 - MH/T5, SWC 160 (skimmer), Aqua Controller Jr, Natureef dosing pump/2part, Po4 reactor, Kalk reactor, Bio Pellets/Reactor, Tunze 6045 X 2, ATO, Automatic Water Change setup, 60g sump/frag tank
    (4 bulb 24" T5's over frag tank)
    125g SOLD!
    300g SOLD!