Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Setting up a 70 gallon salt water tank...

This is a discussion on Setting up a 70 gallon salt water tank... within the Saltwater General Discussion forums, part of the Saltwater category;
Title pretty much says it all, what do you suggest, it has two filters I can't tell whether they were ...

Little Fish

Default Setting up a 70 gallon salt water tank...

Title pretty much says it all, what do you suggest, it has two filters I can't tell whether they were made for fresh or salt water but I have a filter anyway, and the lighting is god, and I'de like some suggestions as to fish along with supplies for my tank... Firstly, I need to get a salt water kit, I know that much but I'm going to not get it for the first couple of weeks as my LFS does tests for free and knows a lot about the hobby... Secondly, I need suggestions as to any more supplies, if I even need anymore, and if so, what do I need... Thirdly, what fish do you recommend? I want to start out with a FOWLR or fish only with live sand tank whichever is cheaper, but aim to create a reef tank once I det really good... Anyway, what fish do you suggest, and I would like conversation starters lol, any suggestions? I allready have two types picked out, a clownfish or two along with some chromis... But I want one more species at least... What do you suggest?
    Tank:17.5 gallon
    Status: Getting ready to set up! Going to LFS this weekend for supplies!

Tank: 70 gallon

Backround is on the fresh water although the tank isn't in the best of shape do to the very little maintenance I perform. I'm giving the 70 gallon freshwater fish to my dad for his pond whenever he feels like it, after that I plan on using it for some salt water fish depending on the circumstances.

hmmm first of all please read the stickies at the top of the forum as they hold a multitude of information. Then get a couple of good books such as "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Paletta and "The Concientious Marine Aquariust" by Robert Fenner. both of these books will be huge reference sources for you. Don't rely on your lfs to test your water for you. Invest in a good test kit and test it yourself. Get used to testing the water yourself as you will be doing these tests weekly for a long time. Get about 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon this will be your filter. If getting uncured be prepared to cure it, this can be done in conjunction with your cycling of your new tank. If any of this doesn't make sense to you, then you need to do more research....good luck and welcome to the forum......fish selection is the last piece of the puzze.
    75g reef

29g reef

Living the salty side of life

Little Fish

Hi and I am not new to the forum, been here a while, and it makes quite a bit of sense to me but I wouldn't rely on my lfs, just gonna do the water test there for the first time since it's free. Gonna do it when I am selecting fish... I am investing in a salt water kit with tank parameter tests and marine salt... I was wondering about what you meant when you said the live rock would become my filter? Do you mean I wouldn't need a filter? Or are you saying that these would help my tank during the cycling process?

Backround is on the fresh water although the tank isn't in the best of shape do to the very little maintenance I perform. I'm giving the 70 gallon freshwater fish to my dad for his pond whenever he feels like it, after that I plan on using it for some salt water fish depending on the circumstances.

Not going with the size tank that you had in your other thread? Live rock acts as the primary biological filtration in your tank. Thats why you want to put 1 to 2 lbs of rock per gallon of water. You should also get a good protein skimmer because that will remove dissoved solids and waste from your water and help keep your nitrates in check. Don't reaaly need the skimmer until after your cycle is over and you have critters in the tank. The live rock will actually do the cycling process for you, rather than the "dead fish" method. Live rock comes both cured and uncured. If you get uncured you can just cure it yourself in the display tank as part of the cycling process. It just takes longer than it would with cuired rock.

What are your plans for a sump/refugium?

Cardinals are good fish too and should co-exist just fine with clowns and chromis, but fish are the least of your worries right now.

I would invest in a saltwater test kit right away. You will be using it religously and regularly before getting your fish. Read all the stickies as Lorna said because they are very informative.
    75 Gal Saltwater:
    2 Percula Clownfish, 6 Line Wrasse, 2 Green Chromis, 1 Coral Banded Shrimp, 1 Frogspawn frag, 3 assorted Zoa frags, Bluestriped Mushroom, Trumpet Coral, CUC

Tara the Tang: R.I.P.

Little Fish

Allright, and IDK, I'ma ask my Dad's friend about setting one up too, he's an expert on it... Anyways, I plan on investing in a salt water kit, I allready have a filter with the sump inside it I believe, and this is my first salt water making it very uncharted territory... Anyway, I am thinking that I am getting about $50 for my birthday allowing me to get a salt water kit with a bucket of salt and test kits for nitrate nitrites and ammonia, but my step brother in law told me that my pool kit had the same test kits so I might just save my money and buy the salt and use the excess money for fish... Any suggestions or tips? I'm a little nervous and I don't know if all of the listed info above is correct... I'm going to ask my dad's friend if the filter (which he gave to me) has the sump as well...
    P.S. The reason I'm not going with that size FishMonger, is because this tank was given to me ROFL...

Doesn't sound like you know what a sump is. If money is an issue, then don't do SW.
    CLICK THE TITLE FOR THE THREAD
    20 Gallon High Reef
    orange skunk clowns, yellow watchman goby, bangai cardinal
    46 Gallon Planted
    keyhole cichlids, angelfish, otocinclus, neon tetras

Teenie Weenie Fish

ok i will put this out there.....
    please please please listen to the knowledgable people on this site. i am in the process of starting one myself and have had many many costly mistakes because all my LFS wanted to do is make money. now i have a big box of worthless equiptment and my tank is no closer to completeing its cycle then it was 7 weeks ago.

salt water is very costly and i recomend doing it right the first time because it will cost you more in the long run if not.

also thanks to everyone who has helped me so far.

Little Fish

I am listening to the people on this site lol, and no, I don't really know what a sump is but I've seen an ad with the type of filter I have saying that it had the sump built in... So what is a sump anyway? It's neccesary to the tank I know that much but what is it?

I would not use a pool test kit. Pool test kits mainly test for pH, alkalinity, and chlorine. Although you will still need the pH, the range of the test probably does not meet saltwater specifications. Saltwater utilizes a higher pH range (8.2-8.4) and high range pH test kits are sold specifically for saltwater testing. You will also need ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. All four of these tests are included in a Master Saltwater test kit. API makes a good one. And it is not that expensive either.

A sump is basically a container that holds water and can be anything from a cheap rubbermaid tub to a expensive acrylic tank bought at an LFS. Many people make their own out of glass aquariums to save money. It expands the water volume of your system and holds things that take up space in your display such as heaters and protein skimmers. There are a lot of good places on the internet to find out more about a sump.
    75 Gal Saltwater:
    2 Percula Clownfish, 6 Line Wrasse, 2 Green Chromis, 1 Coral Banded Shrimp, 1 Frogspawn frag, 3 assorted Zoa frags, Bluestriped Mushroom, Trumpet Coral, CUC

Tara the Tang: R.I.P.

Little Fish

Thanks FishMonger, and do I just cyphin the water back and forth from the sump to my tank or what? And I think I'll invest in a salt water kit, it's about 60 dollars, it includes a bucket of marine salt and the test kits for a salt water tank... So a sump can be any type of small container that holds water from your tank?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast