Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Petco?

This is a discussion on Petco? within the Saltwater General Discussion forums, part of the Saltwater category;
Anyone have any good or bad experience with Petco's saltwater fish? I was thinking of getting a tank bred percula ...

Default Petco?

Anyone have any good or bad experience with Petco's saltwater fish?

I was thinking of getting a tank bred percula or occilaris (sp?) clown from them. They had some healthy looking ones, all the ones in the tank looked healthy. But I can't quarantine, and I don't want to bring in something that'll spread in my tank... so what are your thoughts on Petco's quality of SW fish?
    40g Breeder SW - softie reef started 5/2/13! Percula clown, neon blue goby, tailspot blenny, royal gramma, pearly jawfish
    20g Long Planted - started 7/2/14! Celestial pearl danios, sparkling gouramis

Well when I was going to the Petco near me I didnt have a salt water tank but Id always like to look at them, except that like 1/4 of the fish were sick or dead. I saw a couple regal tangs that had ich as well as a tang, and saw like 4 dead fish. Then they revamped the entire store and made new display tanks and new merchandise tanks but even then I saw a couple of sick fish but it was much better (and then it Blew up). I personally wouldnt want to deal with them (especially if you cant QT it), but it depends on the store and there care methods because not all are the same.

Id find out their return policy and and just look for a specimen you really feel confident in and go with that, and then just watch him closely in your tank
    #27 Darrent Williams
    #29 Damien Nash

Quote Originally Posted by aresgod
    it is still a know fact that clowns, anthias, and various other fish are hermaphroditic(sp?) so just think about what would have happened to nemo...yes thats right, his dad would turn into a female, then he and nemo would mate...far from disney right? or is it......?

So it's like Walmart-depends a bit on the store. And a little bit of luck... guess I'll have to see how they look.

No where around here has ANY guarantee at all on saltwater fish or organisms.

Medium Fish

what, occs local petco blew up. thats funny and also sad, poor fish and dogs, i dont really like cats soooo
    15gal tall SW Reef
    -Coralife 96watt powerquad
    Livestock:
    -soft corals for now

Quote Originally Posted by CAPSLOCK
    So it's like Walmart-depends a bit on the store. And a little bit of luck...
    Thats exactly right.

Also on the guarantee issue, I never asked about it at the Petco, but thats a little troubling, although I doubt they have guarantees on there freshwater either so idk.

As for my local Petco, yea it blew up about 4 months ago.
    #27 Darrent Williams
    #29 Damien Nash

Quote Originally Posted by aresgod
    it is still a know fact that clowns, anthias, and various other fish are hermaphroditic(sp?) so just think about what would have happened to nemo...yes thats right, his dad would turn into a female, then he and nemo would mate...far from disney right? or is it......?

I have always been impressed with the appearance of livestock at my local Petco. I have however never purchased from them, just because I never think of going there and not because of the quality of thier stock and husbandry.

Just assess your local store and use your best judgement.

As for WalMart, have you seen how they net and bag their fish? I know every store and every employee is different, but my word!!!
    Last edited by RockingCricket; 08-28-2005 at 07:12 PM.
    90G Tall Fish Only SW (+10G Sump)
    - Bluefaced Angel, Bicoloured Angel, Maroon Clown, Yellow Tang, Cleaner Wrasse, Scooter Blenny.
    -
    Skarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Orange Spotted Purple Star, Green Brittle Star, Longspine Urchin, Bubbletip Anenome, Condy Anenome, Emerald Crab.

Super Fish

well there are plenty of excellent LFS in mass, many most likely very close to you.

Petco does not have a guarantee/return policy on saltwater fish, due to their highly specialized needs. (it says it right on the back of my fish ticket from petco)

14 day fish guarantee only applies to freshwaters.
    Jenn
    55g---In Progress, FOWL
    55g #2---In Progress..FW Community
    25g---1 Socolofi Cichlid, temporarily...this tank is becoming a reef in the next few weeks
    15g---nano-reef
    10g---brackish disaster...it's empty now...
    10g---beerbottle cap storage
    1g---betta (RIP)

I started off six years ago just wanting a freaking goldfish...

Super Fish

I'm not super worried about return policies , as I try not to buy fish that die mysteriously, but if you can't QT then buyer beware as the range of treatments for most all dieseases you wil see is going to be very limited.
    You ill be very annoyed if it brings something nasty in and all your fish die.

Why don't you use the 10 gallon? All you have in it is a couple of danios and kuhlii loaches.

Aresgod- what good LFS's do you know about? I'm right next to Worcester.

I've never been in a good Walmart fish department either, but I've heard from others around MFT who have. And I've never had problems with Petsmart, but there are people who say theirs is a deathtrap.

I can't really use the 10 gallon-it's got fish in it that I can't rehouse in my other tanks (they're already overstocked), and don't want to get rid of... plus, I'd have to catch the kuhli loaches. I've been dipping my new SW fish, I figure that's better than nothing.
    40g Breeder SW - softie reef started 5/2/13! Percula clown, neon blue goby, tailspot blenny, royal gramma, pearly jawfish
    20g Long Planted - started 7/2/14! Celestial pearl danios, sparkling gouramis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast