Location of powerhead

This is a discussion on Location of powerhead within the Saltwater General Discussion forums, part of the Saltwater category;
I put my power head on the right side of the tank about 4" above the middle. It is pointing ...

Little Fish

Default Location of powerhead

I put my power head on the right side of the tank about 4" above the middle.
    It is pointing down a little bit. Is this a good location? Should it point down or up?
    20 Gallon Prop Tank
    10 Gallon Planted tank- Turning into a 10 gallon prop tank connected to 20 Gal.
    12 Gallon Nano Cube

Super Fish

um I generally point it up a little to get some surface agitation, depending on how much you have already

Ummm, long time no see, huh, good question 4 me to, I'm going to be putting 2 powerheads in my 60 gallon hex, K. now because it's a hex(I wish I had a normal tank)lol, there is no cuculation on the bottum because my flval output is way up top, so I'm going to place the power heads about 5 inch down and point at bottom. Does this sound good??? and I'm going to go with good(powerfull powerheads so they can reach the bottom, or enough to kick it up a lil) thnx see ya around
    120...Gal. Salt Water
    8-blue leg hermits
    3-Emrald Crabs
    3-red leg hermits
    3-turbo snails
    1-Dragon wrasse(Juvinile)
    1-YellowTang(med)
    1-Damsles
    2-Scooter Blenny
    2-Clown Tomato

Yeah...generally you would want them up to form surface agitATION...however its not that important.
    Sam Reef
    2 Gallon Freshwater Shrimp Tank
    180 Gallon Reef
    30 Gallon Half Moon Reef

thanx S. reef, umm I saw a little adaptor or atatchment thing for powerheads that you put on the end and it like twirls around I guess to make the water go in like a 360 dagree motion or sumthing> oh and sorry about my spelling. but do you think the would move the water around a little more?
    120...Gal. Salt Water
    8-blue leg hermits
    3-Emrald Crabs
    3-red leg hermits
    3-turbo snails
    1-Dragon wrasse(Juvinile)
    1-YellowTang(med)
    1-Damsles
    2-Scooter Blenny
    2-Clown Tomato

Super Fish

actually it decrease the amount of water flow, but imcrease the different areas it is flowing too

yeah...what aresgod said.
    Sam Reef
    2 Gallon Freshwater Shrimp Tank
    180 Gallon Reef
    30 Gallon Half Moon Reef