Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ishar's 2.5G Nano- "The Meadow"

This is a discussion on Ishar's 2.5G Nano- "The Meadow" within the Rate My Tank (FreshWater) forums, part of the General category;
Hey guys. I decided impulsively the other day to start up a nano tank. It was originally going have only ...

Default Ishar's 2.5G Nano- "The Meadow"

Hey guys. I decided impulsively the other day to start up a nano tank. It was originally going have only hairgrass (HG) and some stargrass for a background plant but I think that the HG will be too tall to have right at the front so I am hoping to use Glosso for that cause.

Here is a shot of how it is set up (minus the plastic wrap that is on top of it now) to grow the HG in emersed. The HG is currently planted everywhere but I will unplant it at the front and replace it with glosso once I get some.

I know the angle of the photo below is pretty bad but it was the only way I could do it an not get a glare. The focal point is off-center to the left, and the substrate slopes up from the focal point to the edges and to the back.

Any comments are welcome

SPECS
    TANK: 2.5G standard
    FILTER: Elite Mini
    CO2: Will use pressurized once I flood the tank, spread by the filter
    LIGHT: 13W PC lamp from Wal-Mart. Full spectrum Daylight bulb.
    SUBSTRATE: 1" of soil topped with flourite
    FLORA: current: HG; planned: HG, glosso, stargrass
    FAUNA: currently none, not sure if it ever will get stocked

Looks good so far. A small crypt might look good in the corner. I Do you think the star grass might get too big?

Some red cherry shrimp would look pretty good in that tank.

I had a planted tank just like this at one time. I might have to drag it out of storage and give it another shot.
    My tanks: 29g reef, 14g jewel cichlid , 29g, 30g planted, 180g African cichlid, 55g Jack Dempsey and 55g jewel cichlidhttp://jpotx113.4t.com/index_1.html

"The sun shines down on a lonely town
    Where the fish all smile 'cause they know us" -- Everclear

Quote Originally Posted by tom91970 View Post
    Looks good so far. A small crypt might look good in the corner. I Do you think the star grass might get too big?

Some red cherry shrimp would look pretty good in that tank.

I had a planted tank just like this at one time. I might have to drag it out of storage and give it another shot.
    Thanks Tom .

I have thought of a crypt- I have crypt wendtii brown, and it seems to stay small, but with its off colour I though if I put it in I would have to put it in or near the focal point. Thank you for the suggestion- I will definitely keep it in mind.

I figured the stargrass wouldn't get too too big but I wasn't sure to be honest. I know the leaves get relatively long but it doesn't get too tall for me so I thought it might be worth a shot. I guess I will have to rethink it. I will likely give it a try though once I flood it.

I also thought of RCS... but do you know how hard it is to find them in Canada?! lol Near impossible. I know of one person and she seems to have decent prices, so I may look her up later. Would I need a heater for those shrimp?

I keep a heater in my shrimp tank since they prefer temps in the 70-80F range. I had to buy mine online through a member of plantedtank.net.
    My tanks: 29g reef, 14g jewel cichlid , 29g, 30g planted, 180g African cichlid, 55g Jack Dempsey and 55g jewel cichlidhttp://jpotx113.4t.com/index_1.html

"The sun shines down on a lonely town
    Where the fish all smile 'cause they know us" -- Everclear

I fiddled around a bit and I took one of your ideas into action . I put some crypt wendtii brown in there. I also moved the hairgrass away from where I will be planting glosso when I get some so it is less work to do that later :P. Anyways here is a good quality picture- what do you all think?

Photobucket

Looking at that picture, it seems I might want to either get rid of the hairgrass from in from of the small piece of wood as it will be bigger than the wood itself, or just keep it trimmed low... not sure what I will do there but I am leaving it for now.
    Last edited by ishar; 04-21-2009 at 01:43 PM.

looks like a good start! as with all planted nano's, a good carpet of dwarf baby tears would be awesome. But it depends on what kind of a look you're going for. I'm interested to see this one evolve....

55 G (low light planted) - 5 glass fish, 6 cory, 1 otto, 6 Amanos, 1 flower shrimp
    29 G (high light planted) - 6 cherry barb, 2 oto, 2 Amano shrimp, 1 SAE

I am not sure I want to get into HC just yet. I am having a very hard time getting a hold of some, and I feel like it might not do well in my tank so I was going to go for glosso instead. Thanks for the compliment though

Ok well after moving some photos around in photobucket I need to repost these:

Original Plan:
    Iwagumi Plan

April 20 (original planting):
    The Meadow's Start- emersed, day 1

April 21 (moved hairgrass from front center to make way for glosso):
    The Meadow, April 21, 2009

April 22 (moved hairgrass out of the left side to show the wood):
    The Meadow, April 22, 2009

Super Fish

Looks nice.

I'm thinking we're going to have ourselves a nano showdown in December as well!

I just got a 2.5g for one of my male bettas...
    100, 29, 20, 10, 2.5

hahaha that is funny. I did a crap trim job on the 20G for this months POTM, so you are likely going to have me hands down... but come December my nano will be in such tip top shape you won't even be able to believe it!! hhaha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast