Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oscars and Piranhas

This is a discussion on Oscars and Piranhas within the Predatory Fish Discussion forums, part of the Freshwater Fish Breeds category;
Can Oscars and piranhas live with each other without killing each other?? I'm shooting for a 45-55 gallon range for ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Post Oscars and Piranhas

Can Oscars and piranhas live with each other without killing each other?? I'm shooting for a 45-55 gallon range for the tank.

Teenie Weenie Fish

Post Re: Oscars and Piranhas

I bought a 48 gallon tank today. Petco was gonna charge me $200+ for a stand. I was like No Way! I figure I can find a low table or something along those lines.

Atlantic Fish

Id be very carefull with what you put your tank on.. 48g is a lot of weight! Make sure what ever you coose is strong enough to handle A LOT of weight or you will have a hell of a lot of water to soak up! Have you looked around for a cheaper tank stand?
    Johnmac

Teenie Weenie Fish

I wouldn't do that.  Its hard to believe how much 50 gallons of water and rocks weigh.  you can get an iron stand for like a 100 bucks.  or somewhere in that range.  If you go with a table it needs to be really strong or you'll be cleaning up alot of broken glass and water.

Teenie Weenie Fish

My tank is the kind that bows out in front, so I think I'm gonna have to buy the one that Petco sells. I've also decided that I'm gonna take both of my piranhas back. I'm living in an apartment, and will be moving into a house in about a year. Thats also when I'll have two very dangerous fish to try to move along with the tank. I'm gonna buy regular fish, and put plants in the tank and make it all pretty. I still can't wait to raise the piranhas!!

Petco doesn't sell piranha so far as I know. At least, the NY stores don't because they have to have a permit to, and Petco is too cheap to spring for a permit for every store. Your Petco sells piranha? You sure they're piranha and not mismarked pacu?

Yeah, the prices at Petco are really jacked up and sometimes it's not even worth paying for their fish either. $1.79 for -a- neon that I could get six for a dollar at the LFS.  Petco's best fish bargains is when they have their 99 cent fish sales, and you have the "buy one get one free, limit 3 fish" coupons that AG puts on the back of their stuff, and your PALS card, then you can get a good bargain on fish like gourmis and rainbows. AG has some great Petco coupons like 50 cents off next AG purchase, or 20% of air-line stuff. Just don't forget your PALS card.

They also occasionally do 10% off stand sales. Still, 10% ain't a whole lot, especially for $200 dollar some odd stand.
    ~~Colesea
    The above, of course, is strictly opinion. If you don't have your own, I'll gladly give you mine.

Teenie Weenie Fish

i bought red belly piranhas for 6.00 each. I'm taking em back tonight, and I'm gonna just have regular fish and plants. I'm gonna wait until I get a house, so I can put the piranhas in a huge tank.
    miley*

Hmm...I guess they do let the stores in legal states sell them then. Darn, and to think of all the sales I lost because I can't sell pirahna in NY.

Then again, if they were legal, they'd probably loose their "macho" appeal. So many guys think they are hot stuff when they walk into the store and I ask "so, what type of fish are you feeding?" while scooping feeders, and they look all fugitive and whisper "pirhna" like the DEC is going to jump out of the koi tank to arrest them. Then they shrug their black leather clad shoulders and start strutting around the store like they've impressed me or something. *snort* Pirhna are not illegal to -own- in NY, just illegal to sell without a permit.

*double snicker* men and aquariums, they're soo funny. One of my friends put it best. "The only reason men like big fish is the same reason they like big cars...they're compensating for something."

I'm glad you decided to do little fish instead. You'll be charmed and probably never think pirhna again.
    ~~Colesea *chortal*
    The above, of course, is strictly opinion. If you don't have your own, I'll gladly give you mine.

Teenie Weenie Fish

yeah. I just wanted a piranha because it would be cool to tell people that I've got one. Anyway, I want to growe live plants in my tank so I bought bulbs from wal-mart. How deep should my gravel be?

Large Fish

Just get a bala shark and tell your friend that you own a shark.  Or get a pacu and tell them that you have a piranha.  It's sometimes hard to tell the difference.
    ey*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast