White floating "flecks" on the surface of my tank

Dalevdm

New Fish
Jun 4, 2016
Hi, I have a 13l tank unplanted with one Betta. It is heated to 26.5 degrees Celsius, pH 7.1, ammonia 1.0, nitrite 0, Nitrate 0.

I had to do a big clean of the tank after only having it for 4 weeks as the live plant that I bought started dying and left a huge mess. The tank has only been cycling in its "new phase" for about 10 days.
My Betta is real happy and gets excited for food and interacts a whole bunch. I thought he may be getting fin-rot so I have been treating the water with Bettafix for the last 6 days. They do look a bit better.
I have now noticed these really tiny white specks that seem to moving independently on the surface!?

Can anyone tell me what they may be or if I should be getting rid of them somehow?
image.jpg

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Just dust / random little floaty bits. If you don't have a filter which skims the surface of the water, they will collect on the water surface. Doesn't hurt anything.

Ammonia at 1.0ppm is actually high and probably contributing to the fin rot on the betta. A water change and/or using a product to detoxify ammonia will lower the level - 1ppm of ammonia can be harmful to fish.

Live plants can be good but if they aren't getting enough light, they'll die off and that will pollute the water somewhat. And create a mess, as you discovered... Consider java fern as an alternative live plant, it doesn't require much light and many bettas like to lounge on the leaves.

Dalevdm

New Fish
Jun 4, 2016
Thanks CAPSLOCK. I have brought the ammonia down to 0.25 (tested this morning) by doing daily 25% water changes for last 5 days and adding some aquarium salt and stress coat +.

pH is also down to 7.0.

I will look into the Java Fern as an option as well.

Thanks again

Jun 4, 2016
Good, 0.25 is much better. Once the aquarium matures, it will go down to 0ppm and stay there.
I'm Really stoked it's all cleared up done a bit of tweaking to the filter a few 25% water changes ammonia is now ZERO!! His fin rot hasn't progressed any further and he is super happy. I thought he was active before, now he is super happy.
I think the issue was possible over feeding and the type of pellets I was using were sinking too fast and there was a lot of it always collecting in the gravel.

Thanks for all your help.