Bottom Feeders

bam

New Fish
Jun 21, 2016
I currently have a 29 gallon tank with rosey red minnows. Does anyone know what bottom feeder would work best in this cool tank? In the winter my house temp is at 66 degrees.

Thanks.

Jun 20, 2016
Hello bam...

Your tank should have a heater. A 150 watt heater set at 76 degrees should keep the tank water temperature steady year round. I keep Corydoras to clean up the bottom of the tank. The Albino species is available at most of the local pet stores that carry fish and aren't expensive. Corydoras are shoaling fish and like to be in a group of 6 or more and don't get very big. 6 of these fish is just right for a 29 gallon tank.

Oldwater

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Bam, welcome! 66F really isn't that cold. Many tropicals like neon tetras and most danios would thrive at that temperature. In regards to a bottom feeder, emerald corydoras do well at cooler temps. Is your intent to add more fish for activity at the substrate level? There really is no such thing as a "clean up crew". Corys need to be fed sinking pellet food, as do most "bottom feeders". Adding more fish always adds more waste to your tank.

bam

New Fish
Jun 21, 2016
Hello bam...

Your tank should have a heater. A 150 watt heater set at 76 degrees should keep the tank water temperature steady year round. I keep Corydoras to clean up the bottom of the tank. The Albino species is available at most of the local pet stores that carry fish and aren't expensive. Corydoras are shoaling fish and like to be in a group of 6 or more and don't get very big. 6 of these fish is just right for a 29 gallon tank.

Oldwater[/QUO

bam

New Fish
Jun 21, 2016
Rosy Red minnows prefer cooler water, so they don't need a heater. I have mystery snails in with them now, and all is good.