Black spots-what are they?

May 24, 2016
Hello!
Just purchased some moss balls for my tank and now that they're in I've noticed tiny black spots.
Just wondered if they were eggs or anything..? They don't seem to have jelly around them but I have no experience with diagnosing this kind of thing.
Here are some photos...

[GALLERY=media, 781]On the moss by Drepudz posted May 24, 2016 at 9:31 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 780]Black dots by Drepudz posted May 24, 2016 at 9:28 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 779]Black dots from above by Drepudz posted May 24, 2016 at 9:27 PM[/GALLERY]

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Do they float? They could be some form of eggs, but to me they look like tiny grains of substrate - black sand or even dirt particles. Honestly I don't know how those Moss balls are grown though.

May 24, 2016
Do they float? They could be some form of eggs, but to me they look like tiny grains of substrate - black sand or even dirt particles. Honestly I don't know how those Moss balls are grown though.
Hey :)
Thanks for the response. I thought it was just sand as well until I saw it floating!
Guess I'll just have to wait it out. I've a fully planted up tank for my guppy fry to hide in when they get here and so far have only seen 1 snail. I was hoping for more little glass cleaners...a good excuse to get an assassin snail as well Mwahahahaha
Now I have moss though I'm hoping to grow myself some more once it's established.
I can see myself in a few years obsessing over a multitude of tanks and being the guru...but right now I'm clueless!!

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
i think it's some debris of some sort.
hope you won't need that assassin snail! snails are a pain to deal with. haha
i'm glad you've accepted the fact that you'll have multiple tanks in the future.it'll make getting more tanks easier. ha!