growing outdoors

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I'm planning on growing some plants outdoors. I have a 55 gallon that split a seam, so don't trust it in a house ever again but still wanna use it. So last fall I caulked it up really well so it will hold water. But what I don't want is a misquito farm. Any ideas on what kinda fish I could put in it that would eat them but still be ok with minimal care? The tank will be unfiltered, unheated or cooled. I'll just be doing weekly water changes or changes when needed. I was thinking bettas but I'm afraid they would be to expensive in case they happen to die. Koi or goldfish won't work cause the water may get to warm and they are to dirty for an unfiltered tank. Any ideas?

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I was thinking about going down to the lake and getting some sunfish. But I know they like to jump and the tank will not be maintained like the ones in the house. So low oxygen may be an issue. If gouramies were not so expensive I would consider them.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I wouldn't do mosquito fish given they are invasive little buggers. I would do zebra danios. To me, platys or guppies would be cool, but we're only talking a 55g and breeding would be nuts with live-bearers in there.