Swordtails acting weird help

Jan 26, 2016
In my 75 gallon I have 4 female swordtails(well at least I think. One of my females is starting to grow a males tail) I'm not worried about that though. But one of my females keeps hiding behind the drift wood. Which is in the back of the tank and she won't move. I just got her maybe 5/6 days ago. She was perfectly fine. We have led lights that blow bubbles too and she'd swim with the other swordtails through them and just around the tank. But now she only comes out when it's feeding time. I know that when a pregnant swordtails is near spawning time she'll lay on the gravel or what and be aggressive and be very interested in food but I don't see a Gravid spot but she does have a big belly. Our last swordtail that did this died a few days later and I don't want that to happen again. Is she ill or being harassed? Please help

Jan 26, 2016
Tank has been running the for about a week in a half. Our water parameters are
Ph: 7.0/7.5
Kh: 20
Gh: 0
Nitrite: 20
Nitrate: 0
We have done 1 water change. We do it once every week.

Dec 1, 2013
Alright! There's your problem! The tank hasn't been properly cycled. Nitrites should not be that high. I'm guessing that if you were able to test the ammonia it would be high as well.

Tanks need to be cycled without fish for about three - four weeks before adding fish. Right now you are going through a cycle. The fish are stressed from the cycle and that is why they are behaving strangely. Your best bet is to borrow some cycled media from a friend, but in the meantime you must do water changes daily. At least 50%. That will help keep the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia down. Do not add any more fish to the tank in the meantime.

There is a sticky in our freshwater beginner forum on cycling, it would be beneficial to give it a look! http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/threads/freshwater-beginner-stickies-read-me-first.31669/

Please keep us updated on how it is progressing.

Jan 26, 2016
Alright! There's your problem! The tank hasn't been properly cycled. Nitrites should not be that high. I'm guessing that if you were able to test the ammonia it would be high as well.

Tanks need to be cycled without fish for about three - four weeks before adding fish. Right now you are going through a cycle. The fish are stressed from the cycle and that is why they are behaving strangely. Your best bet is to borrow some cycled media from a friend, but in the meantime you must do water changes daily. At least 50%. That will help keep the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia down. Do not add any more fish to the tank in the meantime.

There is a sticky in our freshwater beginner forum on cycling, it would be beneficial to give it a look! http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/threads/freshwater-beginner-stickies-read-me-first.31669/

Please keep us updated on how it is progressing.
Oh that would make sense. I talked a person who has had fish tanks their whole life and she says when she cycles she keeps the fish in the tank. So I was going off of what I was told by her. Thank god for forums. Thank you and I will start doing the 50% water changes and daily and let you know the progress. Thank you again!