What's up with my apple snail??

Nov 8, 2015
Colorado
I have a golden mystery snail, and I noticed that he was like, off balance almost. And then earlier he had like "fallen over". I think he might not have enough calcium, but I don't have any calcium test things. And I've read that they will sometimes eat part of their shell if its thin or cracked. Only the lip of course. Do I need a calcium supplement?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Unless you have really soft water, regular water changes should replenish the water with any calcium that is being used (and there really isn't a lot of usage of calcium in FW that I know of...). I've also read you can feed a snail a piece of blanched spinach to supplement calcium. Take the uneaten portion out of the water after a few hours.

Snails - inverts in general really - are more sensitive to water quality issues or contaminants. Something like the metal weight used on a bunch of plants, a hunk of rust or a coin that fell in, a metal screw used on something in the tank, or using any of a variety of medications could affect your snail but not the fish in the tank. Or even a REALLY high nitrate level.

He didn't get caught in a filter or something? I've got a nerite that made his way into my filter and got the edge of his shell all banged up like that.