Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Platy pregnant, how far along do you think

This is a discussion on Platy pregnant, how far along do you think within the Live-Bearers Forum forums, part of the Freshwater Fish Breeds category;
I just bought this platy and she's obviously pregnant I was just wondering about how far along does she look? ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Question Platy pregnant, how far along do you think

I just bought this platy and she's obviously pregnant

I was just wondering about how far along does she look? Or how long does she have left est?

I want to keep the babies so I want to make sure the other fish don't eat them. I have a breeder trap but I've heard they get stressed

Teenie Weenie Fish

I don't have platys, so I can't help. Just wanted to tell you she's really cute!

Save money. Earn money. Buy more fish!
    www.365days-in-the-black.com

75g Community tank: mollies, guppies, swords, cardinal tetras, cory cats 29g : fantail goldfish
    55g :angels, 55g :turtle tank,ghost shrimp, 2 plecos 10g :female bettas 5g: king betta, 2g: CT betta 10g: VT male betta 2 kuhli loaches, 4 cherry shrimp

IMO, I would say within a week, maybe less she'll drop them. Platy are a little harder than guppies since they don't get as "square" before dropping babies. She looks pretty far along though.
    http://missfishy.tripod.com/
    The Basic Guide to Cycling a Tank, Sick Fish and more!
    Updated 10/13/09 with a new layout!

Medium Fish

I've also heard they get stressed out in that breeder trap.
    If you want them to survive (and not use the trap) try putting some floating plants in there. Real or fake plants will work.

Some people say that they do nothing to raise the fry and yet somehow they manage to thrive.

I always assumed the adults would eat them all...but I've heard countless stories of people having to remove all the decorations and plants just to prevent maturation.

How big is your tank? Can it support more adult fish? They can have a lot of fry that will grow quickly.
    So if you can, try to have another tank on hand. Good luck.
    Last edited by BlueStraggler; 04-16-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Teenie Weenie Fish

Hmmm, yah she is getting boxy looking by the hour.Well..... the gravid spot is getting more dots in it and it's growing closer to her anal fin, from what I've read this is a good sign.... I'm new at platy's

Thanks for all the compliments and help! Hopefully the babies are the same color as her........

TANKS - I have
    - 1 20G with gourami and betta girls in it
    - 2 10G - 1 empty - 1 she's in right now with 3 other platies
    There's plenty of room for newbies, I purposely have both more bare for the babies
    Last edited by Kris; 04-16-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Medium Fish

Seems like you have the perfect set up to succeed in raising fry.
    GL

Teenie Weenie Fish

Uhh my platy started giving birth I guess overnight, early morning. Anyway I saw a few fry and found her hiding, so I gently put her in the breeding trap [no nets]. And she looks pregnant still, not as round but VERY square.. But she's not popping any babies out, just pooping.....

Can platy just stop giving birth once they've started? She's still very pregnant cause her gravid spot is getting larger by the minute and taking on a new shape. I think the fry are hatching inside her but they're not coming out.

She's swimming up and down and backwards with her tail up, is this proper?

Thanks!

Medium Fish

Well I'm not sure if they do a split-batch thing but you can expect to have more fry in about 2-3 weeks.

The swimming seems normal to me. I've seen it before in healthy fish. Usually indicates excitement from labor and/or stress. I'd take her out of the breeder and put her back in the main tank.

Teenie Weenie Fish

Hi! I'm new here and think I might have a pregnant platy as well. I would love to hear an update on how your babies and mommy did!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast