Platy Labor

This is a discussion on Platy Labor within the Live-Bearers Forum forums, part of the Freshwater Fish Breeds category;
How long is platy labor? She just gave birth to 15 in a matter of 20 minutes but hasn't dropped ...

Default Platy Labor

How long is platy labor? She just gave birth to 15 in a matter of 20 minutes but hasn't dropped any for the half hour or so? Still has a gravid spot. they are in a breeder trap. When should I pull her out? Lastly, what is the minimum size fry tank??

Thanks!
    Samantha

29 gal
    1 Convict 3 Black Tetras
    1 Jewel 1 Buenos Aires
    1 Red tail Blue Botia
    1 Golden Zebra Loach
    1 Bosemani 2 Australian Rainbows

16 gal
    4 Bolivan Rams 5 Rummy Nose
    1 German Blue Ram
    1 Otto

10 gal
    1 White Male Betta
    2 Blue Gourami
    2 Cory

5.5 gal
    Platy Fry Tank

5.5 gal
    Platy Tank

How long she continues giving birth depends on a number of factors. She may well still have babies that aren't fully developed that she will give birth to another day or in a few hours. She will probably keep her gravid spot, as she probably has another batch of fry on the way in a month or so.

The larger the fry tank, the better. You can probably use a 5g tank, but a larger tank will mean the fry grow faster.
    Lotus and Ecotank's tanks

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Thanks Lotus. She appeared to stop labor after 20. as far as I can tell 17 are still with us. I moved them into a small holding container until I can get a fry tank set up.
    Samantha

29 gal
    1 Convict 3 Black Tetras
    1 Jewel 1 Buenos Aires
    1 Red tail Blue Botia
    1 Golden Zebra Loach
    1 Bosemani 2 Australian Rainbows

16 gal
    4 Bolivan Rams 5 Rummy Nose
    1 German Blue Ram
    1 Otto

10 gal