Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

about how many fancy guppies can i put in a 20 gal.

This is a discussion on about how many fancy guppies can i put in a 20 gal. within the Live-Bearers Forum forums, part of the Freshwater Fish Breeds category;
about how many fancy guppies can i put in a 20 gal. tank? would 3 pairs be too much...

Teenie Weenie Fish guppy_girl2004's Avatar

Default about how many fancy guppies can i put in a 20 gal.

about how many fancy guppies can i put in a 20 gal. tank? would 3 pairs be too much

I would put just 1 female in there if you can help.

My 2 guppies which came pregnant are soon invading my 38 gallon after 2 drops each in 2 months.
    I have removed my 2 male guppies for 'birth-control'.

The males are more attractive. How about 4-5 males?
    Is this going to be a guppies only tank?
    You can get a group of 4-5 corydoras (smaller species) as bottom feeders and they'll leave your guppies alone.
    Chyrl

For all life is fragile, cherish it before its gone

Large Fish

Ohh, No...If you don't want the over running your tank..you should just get all males..one female will have the boys fighting...I don't know how many you can have in there..

id say just keep guppies in the ratio of 1 male to at least 2 females. so you could probably have about 4-5 males and 8-10 females if you want. keep in mind that this is if it would be a guppy only tank.
    My Fish Website (Last updated on 2/11/05)

My Fish Gallery

55 Gallon Tank
    -10" Tiger Oscar
    -2 Common Plecos

I'm proud to be an American. Why? Because in Soviet Russia, road forks YOU!

If we have 4-5 males and twice as many females for the 20gallon, won't the tank be over populated with guppy frys in a couple of weeks?

You mean the male guppies will snip on each other and fight over the one female guppy?

Even if it is a guppies only tank, I forsee a problem with too many frys in no time.

Just my 2cents.
    Chyrl

For all life is fragile, cherish it before its gone

Large Fish

Well, I agree with you on that, Chryl, she will have a problem with fry that way. I just know the one female will be so stressed...and the males will all want to be with her at ALL times. lol.

well, if the tank was stocked to the limit with guppies, i doubt many of the fry will make it anyways. there will be guppies almost everywhere the fry go, and most of them will probably be eaten unless you have alot of plants and other hiding spaces. if there were less guppies, more of the fry would probably make it and then overpopulation would happen that way...so pretty much, i think overpopulation would happen faster in a less-stocked tank. of course, either way...i think overpopulation of guppies is almost unavoidable. does this make sense, or am i just crazy?
    Last edited by fishdude07; 11-26-2004 at 06:52 PM.
    My Fish Website (Last updated on 2/11/05)

My Fish Gallery

55 Gallon Tank
    -10" Tiger Oscar
    -2 Common Plecos

I'm proud to be an American. Why? Because in Soviet Russia, road forks YOU!

Large Fish

Umm.. Not if you have all males! Besides..never under-estimate guppies! My mom tried that, and ended up with TOO much guppies! I suppose it depends on if she wants to breed them.

Lou

With livebearers I'd think about planning for fry. Letting them get eaten is an option, but if you get all weepy about the cute little things, then you will need a couple more tanks.

I'd go light on gups in a 20 and use other fish to fill out the space for interest sake. We have about 4-5 small females with a single male in a 20 long and they seem happy. We capture as many fry as possible and move them on to grow out tanks. Not too heavy maintenance too because it is lightly stocked. I grow weary of cleaning tanks.

Loading it up with males and one female can make for fights. We have a male 20 high with maybe 20 or more males and there is a dominant one (our first fry--one in the first drop) but it is such confusion with so many that they don't know who to pick on or gang up on, so it is a pretty peaceful tank. Put a female in the crowd and all h would break loose.

Good luck figuring out why you are interested in gups, etc.
    Mostly guppies...4 tanks that keep changing
    Escape--it is the basket
    In which the Heart is caught
    When down some awful Battlement
    The rest of Life is dropt.
    ~Emily Dickinson

Teenie Weenie Fish guppy_girl2004's Avatar

well although having one boy and one male gup is not suggested, thats what i have with a goldfish in my 20 until the ich treatment does what its supposed to, im not risking putting other fish in there even if it says you can on the bottle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast