my pictus catfish fins stuck in net

May 15, 2016
I netted my catfish and his barbs got stuck in the net. I cut him out as best I could without hurting him and accidentally cut one of his whiskers so now he has one whisker missing and he has pieces of green netting on one of his side fins. I'm scared to pull off his fin the net is so tight on it. I dnt know wut to do to get it off without hurting him more. He is stressed but swimming around I'm taking that as a good sign. How do I get the rest of the netting off of him without hurting him further

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Do you have a plastic container with which to catch him? Ideally see through so he won't see you coming as well. If you can catch him in the container (so it won't catch on his fins), you'll have better access to him and can even empty out all or almost all of the water for a minute or two so you can work with it. Then you should be able to snip off as much of the netting as you can - just snip off tiny pieces until nothing is left on the fin.

The whisker should regrow fine.

A lot of catfish have spines in their fins and should be captured in a plastic container, rather than net, just for that reason. Cories and plecos have spines too.

May 15, 2016
Thank you soooo much! I was able to get the netting off of his fin with some nail scissors and he is doing great. I'm so happy that he is ok. I can't thank you enough for ur advice I was scared that he might die due to infection. He is happy and healthy now.