lookin to start an aggressive community tank

Sep 15, 2004
Visit site
hi everyone
I wanted to set up an aggressive cichlid tank. its a 60 gallon 48in. length 15in. deep and 18in. height. it will contain plants and slate rock for caves. my lfs said I could proly fit 5 agressive cichlids in the tank to me that seems a lil steep. heres what I was thinking for fish selection green terror, oscar, jack dempsey, pacu, firemouth, pleco. I don't think I want one of each except for the pleco and I deff. want a green terror in there I just wanted opinions on what set up and how many of each fish I can have in the tank.
thanks

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Big fish, little tank. You're good to ask before you get going.

That tank will be enough for a full grown oscar (which will take approx a year) plus a pleco and that's it.
Just forget the pacu. They get collossal in size comparatively quickly, and get far too big for a 55. You're then stuck with getting somone to take the fish or killing it yourself.
Firemouths aren't really that aggressive, and will be bullied by most of the other fish you list here.
But maybe a pair firemouths, a pleco and something else. Maybe a blue acara or similar.

Or you could get a whole bunch of fish from Lake Malawi called mbuna.

What fish can you get locally? Do you have a good shop? Have you kept aggressive fish before?

Sep 15, 2004
Visit site
thanx for the info.
locally i have a pretty big selection of cichlids well i think so anyway. i can get the green terrors, dempseys, peacocks,labs, and i think they even have some of the hap variants. i kept peacocks and labs. nothing too aggressive though. i was also lookin into a fish with a personality, thats why i was askin about the oscar and green terror.

Jeanna

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2004
Visit site
I have a GT and in my opinion, he has one bad a** attitude. I have to keep him by his self because he beats everyone up, including... Dempsey's, Oscars, Arawanna, Red Devil. The only fish of mine that he never picked on was my Brachardi, but they had just laid eggs at the time and they were not gonna put up with him. (very pertective of their eggs) I love my GT though, he's got so much personality, and BEAUTIFUL colors, I just wish I could find a good tank mate for him.
Good luck with whatever you decide to get.
Jeanna

Sep 15, 2004
Visit site
thanx a lot for all the info. i am leaning towards a gt and a jack my lfs has some pretty small ones so i figure if they grow up together they should be ok. ill also put some of my tiger bard in till the gt and jack get big.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Have you had a look at was Cichlasoma salvini. Colour, moderate aggression, character and not hard to get hold of. I'm surprised they're not more popular.
Don't get anything till you've had a look at some of these.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
"growing up together" doesn't always work - not once they get past 5 or 6 inches

I'll agree that some of the bigger fish have more personality though - but choose carefully, you'll only have room in there for a couple at most

Take a look at Texas Cichlids while you're at it - they get to 10 inches - very territorial/agressive - but real friendly to their keepers (just watch your fingers - lol)

Jeanna

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2004
Visit site
My GT and my Dempsey were together since babies, and they deffinitly do NOT get along, wish they did because they do look great together.
By the way, the Texas cichlids are pretty cool fish too.
Again, good luck.
Jeanna

Sep 23, 2003
TN, India.
aquatrix.tripod.com
Tht may be true but if 2 devils are left most probably the dom. one will kill the other. If its 3 atleast there are 2 guys around to share the aggression. Y i suggested devils is they are considered the most aggressive next to Arrow cichlid (Amphilophus zaliosus). But arrow cichlid is pretty rare in the hobby.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
3 feet of cichlid in a 4 foot tank doesn't sound like a recipe for happiness to me, especially if 2 pair. I would suggest that if you want more than 1 or 2 aggressive fish in that tank don't get anything bigger than 8 inches.
What about a bunch of venustus?

I can think of plenty of completely unmanagable cichlids that are far more destructive than red devils though.... other Amphilophues as you say, any of the Cichla species, any of the big, big pikes... all of these are frankly out of size for a 4 foot tank.

Sep 15, 2004
Visit site
wow i didnt expect this many replies thanx a lot everyone.
i think i am goin to go with one gt and two firemouth's and the pleco.
does this sound like it could work or should i maybe get a buch of gt's and see which ones will pair off. i just dont want any lonely fish.