Oscar and Red Terror

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi, i've just set up my fist cichlid tank and have introduced the first fish. One Aequidens metae (about 3inchs) and one small Red Terror (about 2inchs). The guy in the shop offered my an Oscar of about 6-7inchs from his tank at home which i am collecting tomorrow and i was wondering if this combination will be ok? Will the oscar try at eat the red terror? There are plenty of hiding places in the tank but i was wondering what anyone else thinks.

Cheers

Dan :)

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
What size tank is it. You will need a very large tank to keep these fish. Territory and size come into play.

Lol i wouldn't be worried about the oscar being the bully. That Red Terror will live up to its name.

As for the larger oscar....i'd wait. It might go after the smaller fish. Plus it is or will become a tank buster. And only the largest tanks will sufice.

(This tank is overstocked until i know what size tank....i'm just going on the trend that its 50gals or less)

Last edited:

Kyle

Large Fish
Aug 5, 2004
My House
First of all how big is your tank? An Aequidens metae is an Acara. Especially as they get older the Red Devil might start to pick on the Acara. Mainly because Red Devils are more aggressive than Acaras are, and because the Red Devil will get double the Acara's size. I wouldn't get the Oscar either, because I think the Red Devil will probably pick on it when it gets older also.

Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
A red devil is a monster. 14" and the personality of a rabbid wolf. Those other fish R dead.

I detect "I dont know what Im Doing-itis"

just because you have a "Cichlid tank" doesnt mean you can mix whatever cichlids make your heart content together.

I WORK in a fish section at a pet shop and see this every day.

If you have a 20G or less, you're insane for even having tried this. If your tank is of reasonable size- 20-40G I HIGHLY suggest some convicts, mixed with firemouths and sajicas and rainbow SA's.

40-65G try some of the larger acaras and eartheaters

65+ get a group of severums.

IN ANY CASE make sure you can amply light, heat, and filter the aquarium. ALWAYS cycle a tank first. If you dont even know what that means, you shouldn't be keeping fish yet.

Dont happ hazardly throw fish in together, and dont go by what people say, unless eight people say it. I've gotten some pretty dubious advice from people who just didnt know, or were stupid and pretended to know.

In either case, make sure you mix cichlids of the same size, geographical origin, and temperment, most importantly.

Though they are the same adult size, a green terror would likely give a severum a very rough time if they werent in a HUGE tank.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
The tank is 50gals. its been cycled for 4 weeks. ive opted out on getting the oscar and have bought another two smaller cichlids. ive been told that if the red terror cuts up rough i can take him back and they'll exchange him or refund my mony back. ill keep a close eye on him. your attitude sucks spanishgay! Thanks for you help everyone else.

Oct 18, 2004
Visit site
ya i would to dan good idea and spanishgay shut ur mouth man u dont even know wat size tank he has or if hes a newbie or not so u know what get off his case man wrong attitude man he's new man its ppl like u who give sites bad names

aight well dan gl with ur fish man and welcome to the tank man

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
First let me say we don't need a flame war. Spanish guy works at an LFS so he was giving his views on the situation. Don't critize him for that.

ppl like u who give sites bad names
I have to disagree....its people out looking to pick a fight and start a flame war that give forums a bad name.

2nd, good idea not taking the O just with a 50gal. Keep an eye on the Red Terror, as he becomes mature he will start to stake out his territory. Might i ask what the other 2 new cichlids are?

We're all adults here people, and enjoy the same hobby....lets keep that in mind. :)

Good luck dan and keep us updated.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
i should appologise to spanish guy, cichlid man was correct, he was just giving informed advise. Sorry man.

As soon as i can catch the red terror i think im gonna take him back to the shop, i think thats the best thing to do before he gives me any trouble or hurts any fish. i'll just have to learn from my mistake. ive kept tropical fish before just never cichlids. ive looked into it quite a lot but just got some very bad advise from the guy in the shop who sold me the fish in the first place.

the two new fish are a sajicas (spelling?) and a firemouth cichlid. Can you guys recomend any other cichlids that would live peacefully with these?

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Jack Dempsey's, Green Terrors, Jewel cichlids, and a few others would work in a more communal setting. While some of these fish are mildly aggressive, they shouldn't cause the problems a Red Terror will. Red Terrors are very aggressive, unlike the Green Terrors, which is a totally different fish altogether despite its name.

Do keep in mind that when fish reach maturity, all bets are off, especially if you have a breeding pair. If the fish are raised together when they are young, then your chances for success are better.

Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
DAN! Great choices!

Sajicas and firemouths will make you a happy man if cared for properly.

Is it just them, the acara, and the devil? I still think you should get mr devil out but you've said you will try to do that anyways so good for u! ;) you're making good choices...

...except calling me spanishgay... I was only trying to give u information- but maybe I came across rude without noticing?

Anyways, Sajicas are especially easy to breed, with firemouths a close second. If you take excellent care of them, with tonnes of hiding spots and water changes, and lots of high quality food (unlike those doinks who get ONE good food and mix it with 10 bad ones and think theyre helping their fish) you will get lots of fry.

A word to the wise- Most of the Archocentrus family (the family to which the famous Convict Cichlid belongs) have extremely fragile skin and scales. Should you place rough rocks or wood in the tank, the fish may acccidentally scrape themselves, resulting in horrible gashes (Ive seen this first hand). No matter the size of the tank this ALWAYS happens. Avoid sharp gravel, lava rocks, sharp slate, any sharp plastics of any kind (plants, etc) and sharp gravel. Otherwise, they are hardy. So are firemouths.

You may consider (once the devil is out) adding Herotilapia Multispinosa a lovely yellowish SA known as the Rainbow Cichlid. Very mellow fellow.

You might also want to look at a few Bolivian Rams (Mikrogeophaegus Altispinosa/Altispinosas) there are two minor variants in the species which may or may not be interbreedable.

All of the above mentioned fish will be fine in a Ph from the high 6 to high 7 good luck.

Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
OH and may I suggest HBH veggie flake, and Hikari CICHLID COMPLETE and frozsen Bloodworm and mysis shrimp as a good staple grouping for these fish. Cichlid Completes massive levels of Milt make for almost instantaneous healing of skin damages, negating the need for Melafix in many severe fin damage situations. Veggie Flake has a fiber content of six percent ensuring you never get constipation. Also the high level of a number of vegetables is beneficial to coloration, digestion, longevity as well as disease resistance.