First Tank Help

Fogo26

New Fish
May 24, 2017
Hello All

So, I talked my parents into letting me get a fish, but I have to pay for it. The problem is that I'm a 16 year old high schooler with a limited income and I also have to save for other stuff. I was just looking to get a smaller tank for 1 betta without spending a ton of money if possible.

I have read that round fish bowls aren't that best and I wasn't sure how to start off. Is a 2 gallon tank large enough? Do I for sure need a filter or heater?

Once again, I do have a limited amount of money to spend on this so that is the problem here.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017
Hello All

So, I talked my parents into letting me get a fish, but I have to pay for it. The problem is that I'm a 16 year old high schooler with a limited income and I also have to save for other stuff. I was just looking to get a smaller tank for 1 betta without spending a ton of money if possible.

I have read that round fish bowls aren't that best and I wasn't sure how to start off. Is a 2 gallon tank large enough? Do I for sure need a filter or heater?

Once again, I do have a limited amount of money to spend on this so that is the problem here.

Thanks for reading.
They sell the Berta start up kit at Walmart

Alma@fish

Small Fish
Jun 19, 2017
The 2-gallon tank sounds great! That would be a great improvement to what most betta fish live in. For now, you don't need a filter, and if you have some extra money then you could buy one, but for a betta, I don't think it is nessisary

Bananas

New Fish
Oct 9, 2017
Most bettas can live in 1 quart jars. 2 gallons is more than enough. If something is cheaper than the 2 gallons you have your eye on, that would be good enough. Bettas are used to living in harsh climates. If you do get a cheaper tank then you can spend the rest of it on filters or heaters. I don't think it it necessary, though.

Oct 18, 2017
I would recommend that you throw an almighty tantrum to try to get your parents to agree to buy a 100 Gallon for the living room. You can then work that back and 'compromise' with the 2 gallon beta tank and they will think they're getting off light!
You will definately need a filter, and unless you live in an environment which is at least 24 (although you're best keeping them at about 26) degrees all year you will definately need a heater. 2 gallon is fine size wise. When feeding a beta, you are best to get sinking foods as when they gulp from the surface they take air in as well and this effects the swim bladder.