Care tips for peacock eel

Mar 7, 2009
Atlanta
I'm in need of some help caring for a peacock eel I have in a community tank.

He has always been very picky about what he eats. So far all I can get him to consume are live earthworms or "red wigglers" as the pet store calls them. I've tried flakes, pellets, and a variety of frozen foods (brine shrimp, bloodworms, krill, mosquito larvae, and even beef heart) but he just ignores them.

He used to be the first one in the tank to grab an earthworm but lately his tank mates have been getting their mouths around the worms before he does. When he finds an earthworm he will now just play with it for a while and then let it dig into the gravel (which is really tough to get back out by the way).

My temporary solution is to confine him to a breeding tank where I put worms that are just for him. He waits a few hours and then he'll eat them (or play). However, long term I would like for him to be able to swim around the way he used to.

Please let me know if you've had success with peacock eels. If you're posting something you've heard or read somewhere, please be sure to cite the source - while I really appreciate assistance, the internet is filled with hearsay and I've tried most of it. I really hope to hear from somebody who has one of these eels and has met with success. Thanks!

Tank mates: Angelfish, Brown Knifefish (not electric), Rainbow shark, Spotted leaf-fish, algae-eater.
Setup: 55G, moderately planted (2 live plants, 6 plastic), multiple caves and hiding places, gravel.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I doubt I can be of much help to you, but I'll try. :/

Does he appear to be healthy otherwise? Does he appear to have lost weight? Are the water parameters in his tank good? How long have you had him? How long after you got him did he begin to eat poorly?

Of course els like to burrow, so sand or fine gravel is best. Do you think that the gravel is rough and may be abrading his slime coat -- does his skin look okay? Does he have a good hiding place in the breeder tank? I assume you're feeding at night after lights out? Here's a really good thread on feeding spiny eels Peacock Eel refuses to eat - MonsterFishKeepers.com . You likely have already read it, but it has good info on habitat and size in regard to how they affect the eel's eating habits.

We used to have some members who had great success with spiny eels, namely tire-track and fire eels, but I haven't seen them lately. Hopefully someone here now will see the thread and give you some good ideas.

Mar 7, 2009
Atlanta
Thanks Judy,

Other than a little slim, he appears to be healthy - he has lost some weight. Ammonia and Nitrite levels are less than 0.1 ppm but Nitrates are around 10 ppm (I've heard this is fine and actually good for the live plants), the water temp is between 78-79 F and pH is steady at 7.1. I've had Nessie for 4 months now and about 2-3 weeks ago his eating habits changed.
I've always worried about the burrowing nature of these eels but since I've had him, he has always seemed content to use the low caves as a substitute. I've never seen him burrow so hopefully his skin and slime coat are okay - I haven't noticed any problems anyway.
He does NOT have a good hiding place in the breeder tank which is a big reason I want to get him out - I just feel like lack of a hiding place is a smaller risk for him than a lack of food. :( I feed him once during the day and once at night. In the breeder tank I think he is eating both meals because they disappear but I've only seen him eat once in there.

Thank you so much for the article referral and the good prompting questions Judy!

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
they are slow methodical eaters...for me I personally food the community in an area away from the eel and quiety siphon some bloodworms toward him to the bottom of the tank while the other fish are busy eating from the top

Apr 19, 2016
Do you think that the gravel is rough and may be abrading his slime coat -- does his skin look okay? Does he have a good hiding place in the breeder tank? I assume you're feeding at night after lights out?????