Breeding Bettas help

Jan 26, 2016
my male betta has made a bubble nest, and my female betta has vertical stripes and is full of eggs, how long will it take to breed them?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If you put the two together while they are receptive (put the female in with the male and his nest), usually they get it on pretty quickly. Once they have spawned you will need to separate them again. Keep an eye on them while they are together and be ready to remove the female if she is getting beaten up.

Jan 26, 2016
If you put the two together while they are receptive (put the female in with the male and his nest), usually they get it on pretty quickly. Once they have spawned you will need to separate them again. Keep an eye on them while they are together and be ready to remove the female if she is getting beaten up.
It's been about a day now. My female still has the stripes and my male keeps rebuilding his nest. But whenever the female gets under the nest, he chases her away and she hides for a little while until she feels comfortable enough to try again. There's plenty of hiding places and we still have the vase in the tank in case we feel she isn't ready. The temperature is at 80 and we fed them bloodworms. Will they spawn eventually or is he just not interested?

Jan 26, 2016
I also can't tell if they have already spawned and we didn't see. I looked up what eggs look like in a nest and there are some spots that may be eggs in our nest but it could also just be a bunch of bubbles. image.jpg

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Hmm, I don't know. I tried breeding bettas back in college (about 10 years ago). I don't really remember most of the specifics unfortunately. We got eggs but never much beyond that.

Jan 26, 2016
Hmm, I don't know. I tried breeding bettas back in college (about 10 years ago). I don't really remember most of the specifics unfortunately. We got eggs but never much beyond that.
We stopped trying to mate them, we didn't want to stress them out too much. We are getting a new male from an online breeder. He said that the male will breed with any female and we have a new female whos also ready to breed. Have you ever bought fish online? I'm kind of worried.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yes once, shipped fine. Usually it is fine unless there are extenuating circumstances (shipping delay, extreme temperatures). Just make sure to be there for arrival to start acclimating quickly.