Betta has Fin Rot

Jan 18, 2016
My betta has fin rot and I've been doing daily water changes whlie adding stress coat +. I have also been adding aq salt every other day. It's been about 9 days, and I haven't seen much of an improvement. The water parameters are good. Am I doing everything right? If not please tell me the best way to cure fin rot. Thanks guys!

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
sorry to hear that! how big is your tank? and how much of a water change are you doing daily? just making sure since water changes are good, too much and too often can sometimes also be a bad thing (as it stresses out the fish). how's the temperature of the tank? i remember temperature can play a part in fin rots on longer fin fishes like the betta.

do you have a picture?

i've heard some members using Melafix when they encounter fin rot.

API Melafix Antibacterial Fish Remedy
http://amzn.to/1RwkoW6

Jan 26, 2016
I've used melafix for fin rot on my fish before. I used to treat the whole tank but I didn't really see any changes so I made a "hospital" tank for my fish which is a smaller tank and I treated the fish with fin rot in there. I noticed a lot more of a difference when the fish is in a smaller tank rather a bigger tank. But I'd still recommend trying medicines that are more natural. Melafix was my last solution and the process takes more then 7 days, which it says on the bottle, for some fish.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Is the fin rot getting worse or staying the same? If it is not getting worse and the water quality is good, it should heal but just takes time. Also make sure there is no one picking on him. And no "sharp" plastic plants / etc that he likes to swim through - that could keep irritating the damaged tissue so it won't heal (like constantly picking at a scab).

Is the tank nice and warm? Being cold will also slow healing (bettas like tropical temps around 72-78 or so).