How can I protect my baby fish from filter?

Nov 28, 2012
I don't like sponges, because they inhibit water flow, and panty hose do the same thing. I found a website that sells filter net guards. Has anyone used these before? I was wandering if they work. Here is the website for Filter Net Guards. Check it out and let me know what you think? Appreciate any input and advice.

A1best.JPG

Feb 27, 2009
Looks like 'panty hose' with larger holes. You could do the same thing with an old fishtank net. In any case, I think it would work to save your fish if that is what you want it for.

(I don't buy that it would keep snails out of the filteration system though. Depending on the species of snail, they can and do get into your filter, no matter what you do to prevent it, including a sponge.)

I'm a big fan of sponge filters driven by either an airpump or submerged powerhead in fry tanks. What type of baby fish are you trying to protect?

Nov 28, 2012
Thank you. I going to try the filter nets advertised. I'll let you know if they keep snails out of my filter or not. ;)
I am raising angelfish right now, so I really need some good ideas and advice. Thank you for your thoughts, and any others you may have.

Sherie

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
I don't like sponges, because they inhibit water flow, and panty hose do the same thing. I found a website that sells filter net guards. Has anyone used these before? I was wandering if they work. Here is the website for Filter Net Guards. Check it out and let me know what you think? Appreciate any input and advice.

View attachment 11433
Hello; You have eleminated the two best methods I have ever used for protecting fry by saying that sponge filters and mesh screen are not acceptable.
The only other option I have ever used is has been a simple bubble stone. This will not provide any filtration however and was only a short term thing.
It would seem to me that any thing that would keep tiny fry out of a filter will by necessity reduce flow.
Good luck anyway. In the end we each get to run our tanks any way we wish.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
I believe I read in several posts that sponge filters provide a good source of good for fry.
Hello; I made such a comment in the past. I have observed fry grazing on the surface of a very mature air powered sponge filter on a few occasions.
I also put a common pleco in a tank with a mature air powered sponge filter and it fed on the sponge filter for some time until the surface was clean.
In both cases the fry and the pleco lived well. The fry soon moved on to larger food sources and the pleco would be seen on the sponge filter from time to time after. Note-I did not have fry and the pleco in the same tank at the same time.