Anyone know how to get stubborn algae off of live plant leaves?

Jun 18, 2007
Albany NY area
I have a planted aquarium with beginner, hardy plants. I don't remember the exact name, anachranis or something like that? Anyway, they have large leaves on them. I am in a CONSTANT uphill battle with algae in my tank. I do regular water changes, the tank is not in direct sunlight. I changed my water the other day, and scrubbed all the algae off the walls...24 hours later, it is visible on the rear of the tank again. Still there is algae up the wahoo in my tank! It is very stubborn algae also...I have use a metal scraper to get it off my glass...this green algae laughs at a scrub brush! It is getting all over the leaves of my plants. When I scrub it with my fingernail, it barely makes a mark. I don't want to scrub it too hard since it is a plant, and not a glass wall! Is it eventually going to kill the plant if it is completely covered? What can I do?

Ben

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
first thing I'd like to know is what kind of algae is it, is it long green hair or little round green dots? you say it's really hard to remove which makes me think it's the green dot kind. as far as i know there is no algae eater out there that can eat this stuff it's just to hard for them. the next question is what kind of lights do you have over the tank and how long are they on during the day, also need to know your water parameters ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and do you use fertilizer for the plants? basicly the plants and the algae are compeating for the same nutrition, you may have to scrub the tank real well then starve the algae out, leave the lights off for a few days atleast 3-4 don't use any ferts and do water changes every day (30%-50% atleast) till the algae is under control. the plants should be able to survive this week of starving and bounce back as they have energy in reserve were the algae does not and will starve out. it may take doing this a few times if there is alot of algae and it's being stubborn, also if your tank is over 79f degrees the algae will love you, last time I had an algae problem it was the green hair kind and I had to tear my 10g down and scrub everything with bleach, if you do this make sure you was everything very well you don't want bleach in with the fish, if you don't have another tank or container for the fish you can take out the decorations and wash them seperatly making sure to rinse off all bleach, good luck

Jun 18, 2007
Albany NY area
first thing I'd like to know is what kind of algae is it, is it long green hair or little round green dots? you say it's really hard to remove which makes me think it's the green dot kind. as far as i know there is no algae eater out there that can eat this stuff it's just to hard for them. the next question is what kind of lights do you have over the tank and how long are they on during the day, also need to know your water parameters ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and do you use fertilizer for the plants? basicly the plants and the algae are compeating for the same nutrition, you may have to scrub the tank real well then starve the algae out, leave the lights off for a few days atleast 3-4 don't use any ferts and do water changes every day (30%-50% atleast) till the algae is under control. the plants should be able to survive this week of starving and bounce back as they have energy in reserve were the algae does not and will starve out. it may take doing this a few times if there is alot of algae and it's being stubborn, also if your tank is over 79f degrees the algae will love you, last time I had an algae problem it was the green hair kind and I had to tear my 10g down and scrub everything with bleach, if you do this make sure you was everything very well you don't want bleach in with the fish, if you don't have another tank or container for the fish you can take out the decorations and wash them seperatly making sure to rinse off all bleach, good luck
I would say it is closer to the green dot type. I have the temp at around 73-75 degrees.

Kallen

Small Fish
Sep 26, 2009
Kettering, OH
My old 10g tank had an algae problem...I simply added an extra algea eating fish. After a couple weeks, I was afraid they'd starve so I had to give them algae wafers! lol

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I also had a minor problem with this dot algae a little while ago, as my pleco couldnt never do anything about it. I still have the algae growin on the hot glue that holds each glass panel together in my aquarium. That stuff wont come off even with a metal scrubber, but the groups on the glass came off well.
perodically clean the glass. up the plants, or add Marimo moss (as it will try to outcompete the bad algae)
adding chemicals should come last. either get something that destroys algae (anti algae treatment) or add the phosphate (the flourish one is fine) Flourish Excel is even better to control algae(it will even kill the marimo as thats also a type of algae)

Jan 19, 2012
Those Little Green Spots Are Diatom Algae

There are so many types of algae, however, a diatom outbreak in your tank requires an algae scraper, since diatoms stick to the side of the tank far more aggressively than most other forms of algae. Diatoms will also attach themselves to your plants' leaves and will be difficult to remove.

The best way to clear your aquarium of a diatom bloom is through the use of a diatom filter like the Vortex D-1.

This mechanical filter can remove particles as small as one micron from your tank's water. If you run one of these filters in your tank for a few hours a day over the course of a week or so, you can remove most of the diatoms from your tank's water. Then diatom your aquarium a few times a week to remove the diatoms as they reproduce.

This will make a tremendous difference with all types of algae and prevent the types of algae blooms which can detract from fishkeeping.

I have used my Vortex D-1 to remove green water, diatoms, cyanobacteria and many other contaminants.

The D-1 is also useful in removing different types of bacteria and viruses that can be harmful to your fish and plants.

The Vortex D-1 can be purchased online at many Internet tropical fish stores.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
There are so many types of algae, however, a diatom outbreak in your tank requires an algae scraper, since diatoms stick to the side of the tank far more aggressively than most other forms of algae. Diatoms will also attach themselves to your plants' leaves and will be difficult to remove.

The best way to clear your aquarium of a diatom bloom is through the use of a diatom filter like the Vortex D-1.

This mechanical filter can remove particles as small as one micron from your tank's water. If you run one of these filters in your tank for a few hours a day over the course of a week or so, you can remove most of the diatoms from your tank's water. Then diatom your aquarium a few times a week to remove the diatoms as they reproduce.

This will make a tremendous difference with all types of algae and prevent the types of algae blooms which can detract from fishkeeping.

I have used my Vortex D-1 to remove green water, diatoms, cyanobacteria and many other contaminants.

The D-1 is also useful in removing different types of bacteria and viruses that can be harmful to your fish and plants.

The Vortex D-1 can be purchased online at many Internet tropical fish stores.
I know this is an old post and all and this might be a spam bot but, the filter he talks about is not available, see the manufactures website: Vortex D-1 Diatom Filter w / Stand DISCONTINUED DUE TO MANUFACTURER ISSUES

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Algae is usually due to nutrient levels being to high or having real good plant growing lights. Lights in the red spectrum are great for growing plants but, they encourage algae growth as well. If you fert. your plants its easy to get algae as well. Anyhow, its almost impossible to rid a tank of all algae but it can be reduced. The most common algae cause is nitrates, you could try cutting the feeding down or bigger water changes if this is the case. Do you know the nitrate level? OC is real good with planted tanks she might be able to lend some help. Let us know todays info on the tank so we are not basing this on real old posts.