Sick Common Pleco

Mikael616

Small Fish
Apr 4, 2010
MA
Hello, I have a 3 inch common pleco named Fluffy (because when ever they move their fins fluff up).

My tank is a 30 Gallon (I know Fluffy will eventually outgrow the tank).
Temp is usually hovering between 78-80
Nitrate: 0
Nitrate: 0
PH: 7.0
Amonia: 0

But that's with my recent water change, I was too worried to check before I did the change, It had been about a week and a half sinse my last change and was hoping to wait the full two weeks to get the water change and new filter in at the same time.

THE PROBLEM:

My pleco, Fluffy, is your typical pleco at 3 inches, so picture this lettle fellah, now, take a white bead (if you've ever picked appart styrofoam, how it's made up on a ton of small little styrofoam beads) the bead is about that size. Take that bead and stick it to the fleshy part of the pleco's front left fin (Pectoral fin I believe). He does not have small white spots anywhere on him, so I really can't imagine this is Ich (if you think otherwise PLEASE let me know!) The only other issue is his tail fin seems to be having a hard time opening, the skin membrane part (the fin itself) just inside from the outter edge is a sort of red tinge in a backwards crecent moon shape following the shape of the fin. It does not spread through the whole fin, just a crecent moon shape redish.
Aside from that nothing really appears wrong with him, the bead is really quite large and perfectly round. I have him in a hospital tank with salt added. I haven't added medications yet as I am unsure becuase I read on another forum that pleco's are sensitive to meds, not to mention I really have NO idea what he is sick with, the only thing I found was "Saprolegnia Fungus" or "Lymphosistis Virus" which is the more unlikely of the two as information sttes it rarely effects freshwater fish.

Again the only white part is the rather large white bead on his front left fin, and then the tail issue which seems to disallow him to open his tail fin (looks like he wants to open it but end up just shaking, like a human when the muscle has been used so much it shakes when you try to use it as it's very tired.).

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
How long have you had the fish? What have you been feeding it? what other tank inhabitants are there? A singular white dot could be anything. I've found my plec would have one that would show up from time to time. Often time I would chalk it up to stress or perhaps an injury from thrashing about the tank(he sure loved messing up stuff)

Though it does kinda sound like stress. Also i've never been a fan of hospital tanks for catfish. That was always the last stop...

Mikael616

Small Fish
Apr 4, 2010
MA
I can see what you mean about the hospital tank, my poor Pleco seems SO miserable in there and no real algea to eat, I put half a algea disk in there for him.

INFO ON PLECO:
AGE: I've had him for about 3 weeks now, I bought him along with another fish, a gold gourami, who died three days later of nearly EVERY fish disease I know of, the store took credit for the fish being extreemly ill (The Pleco actually came from the same tank as the gourami) I no longer shop there, terrible, terrible place.

FOOD: I feed him half an algea disk during the daytime (other fish nibble it as well) and the other half before I turn off the lights for the night. This is suplimented by brine shrimp pellets (so long as my columbian shark doesn't goble them all up, usually if I toss one further back, he wont find them ^.- and again, I realise the columbian shark needs to be rehomed, the petco I got him from didn't give me correct info, not telling me he was brakish, or that they like being in multiples, OR how big they get! Even though I asked about specifics /cry)

TANK MATES:
1. Blue Gourami
1. Fresh Water Eel (the smaller variety that gets to about 5 inches max)
1. Columbian shark (who'll be going to a new home asap, or to a petstore that will take the poor guy)
1. Rainbow Fish
1. Clown Loach

I do a water change Generally every sunday, 25% - 50% depending on how my water reads.

I really want to put my pleco back in the tank, I hate seeing him so unhappy, I truly do, but I'm TERRIFIED he might be sick with something contagious and I'd be devistated if all my little fish got sick.

Mikael616

Small Fish
Apr 4, 2010
MA
Sorry I always seem to double post nitrate >> the words are so similar, but the nitrite is 0, as I said though these reading are AFTER a large 75% water change as I was startled by the sudden issue on my pleco. I generally do a 25- 50% water change EVERY week not ever two weeks like most people. But this past week i did not which is what I'm thinking caused the problem, I was trying to get everything in sync so my filter was changed with a water change right at the end of the month which mean waiting 5 days longer then usual for the water change. I'm thinking this was a HUGE mistake. My poor Fluffy! All my other fish are perfect how ever, all well coloured and energetic <3

Mikael616

Small Fish
Apr 4, 2010
MA
I couldn't bare it any more, I've placed my pleco BACK into the main tank, he has gone right back to his favorite spot, behind my filter and the general area on the walls and gravle on the left hand side of my tank. He has no issues clinging to the wall (I only state this because I've heard other sick plecos sometimes are unable to stick to things / too weak).

If stress is the issue, I'd probably guess the main tank is less stressful then then smaller, blank hospital tank T-T

Also you can bet I wont wait a single day longer to do my water changes regardless of a situation again! I feel so bad for my fish (I didn't realise I was over stocked, all my fish are really very small, my three biggest are Gourami at 4 inch, fluffy at 3 inch, and the columbian shark at 3.5 - 4 inch, the others are really very tiny, around an inch to and inch and a half each) When my fish get too big (aside from the columbian shark as he requires special needs) I have a friend whom will take them into their home with a 90 gallon and a 150 gallon custom made tank. So my fish outgrowing my tank isn;t too much of an issue, once they do they go to a new home ^^

Mikael616

Small Fish
Apr 4, 2010
MA
More Updates: I've been reading around here and one thing that keeps comming up is the phrase "Plecos need driftwood!!!" I have been soaking a peice of lovely sinking wood i bought from petco for about a month and it's still leaking tanins. But I went snooping and stated that active carbon along with frequent water changes (as I do once a week) will keep the tea color from really getting bad, and the tanins if kept in low amount wont harm my fish.
I added my driftwood and my sick pleco, fluffy made a dive for it, he is currently in the cave area on the wood, maybe he is indeed sick with stress from a lack of a nice hiding spot? (He ALWAYS hangs out beind my filter, but in half a second abandoned that spot for the driftwood).

Feb 27, 2009
But I went snooping and stated that active carbon along with frequent water changes (as I do once a week) will keep the tea color from really getting bad, and the tanins if kept in low amount wont harm my fish.
Tannins in high amounts will not harm your fish. It is only us humans that don't like the look of the stained water. A lot of fish won't feel comfortable enough to breed unless there are tannins in the water. Some buy 'black extract' for the stained effect (tannins in a bottle).

I'm still perplexed about your test readings. You should have something (ammonia, nitrite, and/or nitrate) in the main tank with the bioload you have. What test kit do you use? Can you test again right before your next water change and post results here?

Last edited:

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
I wouldn't say the tank is overstocked, five medium-ish fish in a 30 ain't too bad.... unless the filter is not up to the challenge. Stress is usually from a few things, fish on fish aggression, poor water conditions, lack of space/hiding space, and too much tank maintenance.

It's been a really long time since I've diagnosed fish, but I found that it was very unlikely to catch one of the few parasites that showed up as just a singular white dot.

What are the odds of fish on fish aggression? Cause I would suspect it's an injury of sorts. Common plecos can be territorial and this brings them into conflict with other fish that share the same spaces. At least two of your fish do compete for those spaces. I forget what exactly a Columbian shark so I gotta look that one up.

One other thought about hospital tanks is this, very few people keep a cycled running hospital running, waiting for fish. which means that hospitals are set up quickly, are uncycled and usually sparsely decorated if at all. that's like being shoved into a public restroom and being told get better.

As for driftwood, For all the talk of needing driftwood, and how they would eat it ect. ect.... Honestly, I could never tell if they managed to eat any of the wood or not.
But they sure did seem much happier for just the presence alone.

For now monitor your tank conditions, and try feeding the plec a wafer with fresh garlic juice dripped onto them and maybe a bit of melafix. I have always liked melafix cause it's safe for scaleless fish, it's anti bacterial without harming the beneficial bacteria and helps to replace the slime coat and cleanse wounds. It's no miracle cure but it never hurts unlike some meds. The worst thing that happens? Your tank smells nice.

Feb 27, 2009
Mikael616 - I disagree that the 30 gallon tank is not overstocked.

The Columbian Shark should grow to 12-14" and live in brackish water not fresh.

You never said what type of pleco it is, but if its a common pleco, they can grow even bigger than the Columbian Shark.

Clown loaches get to be 12" and should be in groups, not alone.

Not sure what Rainbow fish you have but they also should be a groups, not alone.

Might want to check out this link for stocking information: http://aqadvisor.com/

Too many bottom dwelling fish in too small of a tank. It's just my 2cents. I'll bow out of the conversation now and let the mod take over.

Good luck with your tank!

Last edited:

Mikael616

Small Fish
Apr 4, 2010
MA
Orange: I sure will test right before my next change, my water change day is Sunday. I use the master test kit you can buy at petco, it has testubes and such, it is not a dip strip.

Mike: Thanks a ton, Mike! I actually saved your post to my computer for future use. Amazingly, this morning, I checked on fluffy whom was hanging upside down in the cave area of the driftwood and the white bead is GONE! (Probably got bumped off or something) but there is NO sore are where it was, and the red colour in his tail is completely gone, and he quite happily shares the cave-like area with the clown loach, whom also really enjoys the driftwood. (the loach isn't in there 24/7 he comes back, sits to rest, then explores and nibbles around the tank and outside of the log).

YAY! I hope all goes well and be assured I'll post new water readings on sunday before my water change for you! (And I'll do my best not ty mistype nitrate or nitrite as a double post again ^^;)

Mikael616

Small Fish
Apr 4, 2010
MA
Orange: Sorry didn't see this second page. I know how big all my fish get and I stated before they all have a home to go to when the outgrow my tank ^^ (Aside from the columbian whom as i stated before, the petstore I bought him from lied, stating he was just a basic catfish, would grow to about 5 inch and that's it) They also called him a "Tri Colored Catfish" which i can't find ANYWHERE, I think it's made up, I did my own research and found a pick of him, found he was a columbian shark and NOT suitable for my tank at all, poor guy, he's doing well right now as he is small and can manange freshwater with aquarium salt added, but I'm working on either finding a store to take him in, or to find a homw for him <3 I already know about the shark ^^
The loach I was told would be happy with other bottom to mid fish, not sure if that was true or not but my loach and rainbow are like best buds they hand around one another a lot, not like agression but just, hanging out XD kind of stook me by suprise really o_O;
The gourami and the shark are the same way, with the gourami going to hang out beside the shark, hey both sort of hover there a bit, then continue on their jolly way, and go back. As far as I know, there is no agression in my tank, I've never seen any of my fish act territorial aside from fluffy just last night when i added in the wood, he loved the cave area, but now he clings to the celing of it and allows the loach to come in no problem.

Mikael616

Small Fish
Apr 4, 2010
MA
Wish it is what they meant but it's not a tri colored shark, cat-face is indeed a columbian shark, got the adorable whiskers and bulgy eyes.

Thanks again for your help, Orance, and I am aware a lot of my fish will eventually outgrow my tank but until they do I can enjoy my little fishies. Fluffy seems so much better just from putting the wood into the tank! I'm SO happy!

Mikael616

Small Fish
Apr 4, 2010
MA
Yeah thank you, I did a lot fo research on them the day after I got him because I cold not for the life of me find a "Tri coloured catfish" The store I bought from I'll never go back to, they also mislabled my little freshwater EEl, luckily I took a snapshot of the little guy and took it to a very reputable store about 15 miles away (yeah, crazy) but I was angry and wanted real answers XD I can't recall the name now but luckily he is the smaller variety (FEW!) will get 5-6" max, they arn't very commonly sold in stores as they are supposedly quick to die off. Mine however has lasted me a month and a week! His name is Edger <3

Mikael616

Small Fish
Apr 4, 2010
MA
As promised here are my sunday water change measurments (done before the water change, but keep in mind i changed the water on Tuesday of this week after the discovery of Fluffy, the Plecos, strange white bead) So this is a water change after 5 days, NOT my typical 7 days, a seven day change will most likely have slightly higher readings.

Nitrite: 0 - 0.5
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Amonia: Reading show 0 but I might say there could be abit in there, and I would definately think on my usual 7 day marker the reading might show a small amount.
Ph: 7.0 -7.2 (colour of my test tube water sort of matched both )
Temp: 78 F - 80F (Been having hot weather so it fluxuates between those two 78 during night, 80 during the day (I have unplugged the heater as I don't feel it is currently needed).

All fish appear to be happy and in good health, my Columbian Shark however is getting abit pushy. Not violent yet, but a bit thouchy feely with other fish, I'll be re-homing him next week. Poor Cat-Face, how I love him.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Test strips are terribly inaccurate. You should purchase a liquid test kit. Do you know about cycling a fish tank? A reading of 0 ammonia means that your tank is not cycled. I would not wait for the fish to outgrow your tank. I would rehome them as soon as possible. If you wait too long, you will be more attached to the fish and not want to give them away. Also, your fish will suffer the consequences of a cramped aquarium if kept in such a small tank for too long.
Also, never trust pet store employees! Very rarely do they know anything at all about keeping fish.

Feb 27, 2009
A reading of 0 ammonia means that your tank is not cycled.
This is not correct, littletankbigworld :) . A reading of ammonia being zero is good. No nitrates would mean your tank is not yet cycled.

Your readings mean that you are overstocked. The biological filtration cannot keep up with the waste being produced. They nitrites should also be zero in a healthy tank. Until the load is reduced, you should be doing either larger water changes or water changes more often.