Platy Illness

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
My one fish has been swimming upside-down and laying lethargic on the bottom of the tank. This occurred suddenly. Previous to this behaviour, my fish was "alright." Over a month ago, I accidentally bumped her with the breeding box. :( She has swam funny ever since then. Suddenly, she has been acting horribly. Is this a strange disease or do you think she is dying from the bump she received months ago? :confused:

sushi*roll

Large Fish
Jan 5, 2010
vancouver bc
it sounds like when you bumped her you could have done something to her bladder. fish use their bladder to swim upright and if it moves inside their body they will swim upside down and flail about to try and correct it. It can eventually kill the fish if they dont fix it.

Feb 27, 2009
I'm about to do a weekly water change, so I tested the parameters.

Ammonia/Nitrate: 0 ppm
Nitrite: < .3 mg/L
If you have no nitrate, sounds like the tank is not cycled yet.

Nitrites are a problem for all fish, even in small amounts. I'd do a large water change or overdose PRIME to detoxify it. Might not be causing the problem with the fish, but could be contributing to the issue.

Feb 27, 2009
Also, I did a fishless cycle with ammonia and then gradually added fish. Perhaps I read the reading wrong? Or didn't wait long enough before reading the results?
I'd redo the tests if I were you. Very unusal to have a zero for nitrate on a CYCLED tank.

If you are doing liquid tests, re-read the nitrate instructions. They can be confusing on some kits.